wedding favors

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by Beardedbrewer, Oct 22, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 22, 2019 #1

Beardedbrewer

Beardedbrewer

Beardedbrewer

I am getting married next year and I am thing of doing some home brew for wedding favors.

I am not sure what size bottles to use.

has any one done it before?

2. Oct 22, 2019 #2

JonBrew

JonBrew

JonBrew

Regular.

Yes I did the same for my wedding favours. I was fairly new to brewing at the time I brewed a saison as we were getting married in the spring which somehow seemed appropriate. I just used standard 330ml bottles but I madey own labels and packaged them nicely. They looked good in the end.

If I was doing it again now I'd maybe attempt something a little more ambitious. If you're up for a bit of work and added expense you could use champagne or belgian style bottles with corks and cages. Foil seals and your own labels. That could look mint if done well. Obviously you'd want a fitting beer to fill said bottles, what about something for keeping like a big belgian dark strong or barleywine?

3. Oct 22, 2019 #3

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Landlord.

Yes I did it. Did a lager as it would be liked by most. I used j20 bottles as there were clear and looked better. Be careful tho as I also used those bottles for elderflower champagne for the females and they all blew up. Glass was too weak

4. Oct 22, 2019 #4

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Jesus..I went to gretna green with a mate and his Mrs.......

5. Oct 22, 2019 #5

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

Bobtheblob

As much as this sounds nice and all that, I can't help feeling that if I was a guest at a wedding who received a bottle of homebrew as a wedding favour I'd feel slightly miffed and a little disgusted. I'd rather set up a batch on a table on the Wedding day for guests to try if they wanted. I'm sure as the night went on there would be a lot of takers.

6. Oct 22, 2019 #6

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Active Member Supporting Member

My brother-in-law and I each brewed a beer for our nephew's wedding last winter. I brewed a Munich Helles, he brewed a bourbon barrel porter. We used small 187ml (7 oz.) bottles which are actually very heavy weight glass, and each guest was able to take one of each bottle, in a small foil bag. Those bottles are not particularly easy to source and they were expensive, but they're very cute and we used them to keep our batch sizes down. We also ordered custom labels using artwork (a sketch of their dog) provided by the bride, with matching crowns. Our overall donation for this effort, for about 120 guests, was nearly $500 not including the cost of our beers.

wedding beers copy.jpg

Chippy_Tea, Dexter101 and cushyno like this.
  7. Oct 23, 2019 #7

Dexter101

Dexter101

Dexter101

Regular. Supporting Member

I didn't do homebrew but did make 2 different flavoured vodkas for a family members wedding. Men got pineapple, ladies got strawberry. Did this in 35ml bottles and with a tag looked really good. The wedding "theme" was alice in wonderland so tied in well. This also worked well because the vodkas tasted very fruity and also very sweet so everyone was able to enjoy it.

My advice would be to make sure the idea fits the occasion (really posh, full works wedding with a beer bottle on the table might not fit) and also to brew a crowd pleaser rather than anything too niche. I know at my wedding, guests fell into the "oldies", my uni friends (proper beer drinkers), school friends (fosters drinkers....) etc. No point in doing a really hoppy IPA that only the few people attending who appreciate that will drink.

8. Oct 23, 2019 #8

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster

What a bizarre response. What would disgust you about it?

Hopsteep, steveinUS and Dexter101 like this.
  9. Oct 23, 2019 #9

Dexter101

Dexter101

Dexter101

Most people I have given homebrew to have actually asked for more. My father in Law seems to be constantly drinking my beer at the moment which I am taking as a big plus.

It doesn't have to say homebrew on it. Should just look like a nice bottle of beer for people to enjoy.

10. Oct 23, 2019 #10

Dexter101

Dexter101

Dexter101

If you think people would appreciate it, you could always do something like a barley wine, do extra and then you have something to open on anniversaries

11. Oct 23, 2019 #11

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

I agree DD2.
    I had never heard of Wedding Favors (registry office job for me and SWMBO) so as its only a small gift given as a gesture of appreciation for attending the event why would anyone be disgusted whatever it was.

Markk likes this.
  12. Oct 23, 2019 #12

jceg316

jceg316

jceg316

Landlord.

After brewing for only a matter of months I made 300 beers for my wedding which went like hot cakes. After the meal when half the people leave they took beers home with them. Since then people have asked me to do beer for their wedding or other events...

I've made homebrew for people as gifts, I usually get 750ml fliptop bottles for this, which might be good packaging if you can't find bottles with corks, and will do something different like an imperial stout or Belgian ale which most people outside of homebrew/craft beer circles have rarely had before.

For my friend who asked me to be best man at his wedding, I made him a batch of Belgian IPA. I heavily hopped it with late additions and dry hops so when drunk fresh it will taste like an IPA, but after conditioning the hop character fades and leaves a Belgian amber beer, the idea being that he has a couple of bottles around the time of his wedding and saves some for his 1st anniversary. This worked really well.

Brew_DD2 likes this.
  13. Oct 23, 2019 #13

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Landlord.

Someone would rather a bag of sugar almonds

Dexter101 likes this.
  14. Oct 23, 2019 #14

Hopsteep

Hopsteep

Hopsteep

Well, I’m brewing for our wedding at the end of next year. Not as favours (the food, singers, accommodation and drink is enough of a thank you for people in my book). The other half suggest shelling out for a canning machine the other day, and then doing some nice labels for the wedding. She’s a keeper :beer1:

An Ankoù and Dexter101 like this.
  15. Oct 23, 2019 #15

jjsh

jjsh

jjsh

So, wait.. which one did you marry?

16. Oct 23, 2019 #16

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Regular.

A REALLY NICE LABEL on the bottles would set them off nicely.
    All the best for your wedding.

17. Oct 23, 2019 #17

Beardedbrewer

Beardedbrewer

Beardedbrewer

18. Oct 23, 2019 #18

RichardM

RichardM

RichardM

When I got married, 32 years ago, it was the tradition for the guests to give presents to the couple getting married, not the other way round.

19. Oct 23, 2019 #19

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Regular.

Re RichardM Exactly!!!! Guess im now gettin old.

20. Oct 23, 2019 #20

RichardM

RichardM

RichardM

Me too