Wetherspoons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love hate relationship with Wetherspoons

Can't stand the owner.
But having said that I think he got a bad rep unfairly at the start of the pandemic. People shared the video of him telling all his staff (supposedly) to eff off and get a different job. That wasn't accurate. He said quite clearly they had no idea when furlough money was going to arrive from the government, and if people couldn't survive long without money he completely understood and there were companies urgently hiring, and when they were able to open again they had first preference on getting their jobs back.

As a product guy in my real life, love what they do with the app and making life easy. I always know the food isn't going to be gourmet but it's predictable, I've been in a town I don't know, the kids are hungry and ratty, you know if you go into a Spoons it'll have space, it should be relatively clean and you can just hand your phone to the kids and tell them to order... and you won't wince at what is being charged.

And in my local town, they took a formerly iconic building that had been slowly going to ruin for 30 years, invested a huge amount of money in it and did a brilliant job of bringing it back to life. Loads of people moaned and said "why did it have to be a chain", ignoring the fact that several local people had bought it over the years, each claiming to have grand plans then never executing them.

Back