Weyerman carared

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone used this. Seems to have very mixed reviews about delivering a red colour. I am thinking of using it at 20 per cent in a red ipa ( 5 am saint) as caramelt. There is also some Munich, medium and dark crystal in there too to help the colour. May use a wee bit de husked roared barley instead or in addition to regular dark.

First time I did this it was the official all grain pack and the colour was perfect however when I repeated using their published recipe it came out brown.

So any views on carared?

Are the dark & medium crystal overpowering? I use it a lot but usually alongside crystal light. Resultant colour is more a rusty brown with red tinge than red.

Why not have a go a Stone Brewing's Pataskala Red-X IPA. It uses a single malt- Bestmalz Red-X so you can't go wrong with the colour. I've made it a couple of times and it's decent beer.

I’d discounted red x as I think the malt bill need more complexity to balance out the hops.

Are the dark & medium crystal overpowering? I use it a lot but usually alongside crystal light. Resultant colour is more a rusty brown with red tinge than red.

There is a lots of crystal sweetness in 5am but it’s balanced with the hops.

Why not have a go a Stone Brewing's Pataskala Red-X IPA. It uses a single malt- Bestmalz Red-X so you can't go wrong with the colour. I've made it a couple of times and it's decent beer.

I've actually been meaning to try out red x for a while now need to put it on my list.

The stone brewing story of how that particular IPA came about is a good one too.

actually thinking of testing out a few combinations chasing that colour. not sure it would work but in theory if you scaled down to 1% and did a mash, you could get an idea of colour, couldn't you?

So 28 litres and 5kg malt bill scales down to 280 mm and 50g grain, line up a few ratio and malt variations in pint glasses and mash away with hot water and see what you get colour wise half an hour or so later. (You could add the hot water in stages to keep in the 60-80c mash range.)

also could do a ph check and maybe keep the samples, adjust OG and use for liquid starter for the final brew

any reason why any of that wouldn't work?

I’m inspired to make this red IPA and will be ordering some red x and Cara red from the HBC. I’m going to use
6000g red x
400g Cara red
50g black malt
22 litre batch
looking at 6.8% ABV

I’ve just been watching the David Heath red x IPA video. That looks good too.

Not the best picture, but here’s my last Irish Red. 92% MO, 3% CaraRed, 3% Caramunich I, 2% roasted barley (give
or take). The colour was spot on for me. Weyermann suggest a mix of Red and Melanoidin to bring up the red colour but I haven’t tried that yet.
02B2582A-236A-41D8-B2CF-8E4747386DF2.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess his "Kveik" obsession makes him feel a bit more Norwegian? As if living there isn't enough?

Having said that, in a David Heath video I was watching recently he was using Windsor yeast!
Was that the low alcohol one?

Not the best picture, but here’s my last Irish Red. 92% MO, 3% CaraRed, 3% Caramunich I, 2% roasted barley (give
or take). The colour was spot on for me. Weyermann suggest a mix of Red and Melanoidin to bring up the red colour but I haven’t tried that yet.
View attachment 64401

Good colour. I want to avoid roast barley howeve as I don’t want any roasty flavours at all with this one. Not even the much milder ones with carafa

I watched that weyerman video yesterday and am tempted to try it to. There is also a caramunich addition that they omitted but corrected in comments. Although I’d be tempted to make a red Vienna lager with it.

Was that the low alcohol one?
It was.

All credit to him he'd try mashing at 80°C and recommend it to the world! I only got brave enough to have recommended 74°C and was only thinking about upping it to a measly 75-76°C

He does have the most boring voice ever! Good videos though!
Hey! Remember English is his second language!

Crikey. What's happened that I've ended up defending the Kveik infused do**...

But, to keep on subject: I wasn't impressed by the "red" from Red-X (haven't tried Carared). A spot of black malt (or roast barley?) as @Cheshire Cat said does the trick.

Latest posts

Back