Weyerman carared

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you not get a toasty flavour with that? Even with low amounts of 1or 2%?
Nah! Although I've perhaps only used 1% for increasing colour in Bitter, not tried 2% or used it for imparting red colour. But black malt (or any darkly roasted grain) certainly does impart a red colour and if @Cheshire Cat says 1-2% will I for one will believe him.

So here is what I’m thinking

3kg extra pale Maris otter
800g carared
500g Munich light
250g melodinion
300g medium crystal
150g dark crystal

I was planning US05 but understand a bright beer amplifies the red so thinking a high floculating yeast such as wl002 or 007

Nah! Although I've perhaps only used 1% for increasing colour in Bitter, not tried 2% or used it for imparting red colour. But black malt (or any darkly roasted grain) certainly does impart a red colour and if @Cheshire Cat says 1-2% will I for one will believe him.

what do use in your 5am saint?

what do use in your 5am saint?
Humm. You remember I'm a 5AM Saint fan? I've got a small batch in planning at the moment (small = 20L).

No "Red" malts, although the "Extra Dark Crystal" (400EBC) undoubtably contributes some "red". I pretty well stick to the DIYDog proportions (2019 DIYDog has more reasonable proportions compared to earlier editions - but tweak the quantities to match the desired result anyway). Hops all pellets which I'd consider dodgy but not many hops for a Brewdog beer (30IBU). I use "BBC" pelleted hops where I can (all American). Often use Pale Malt instead of Lager Malt (Extra Pale Malt) 'cos that's what I generally have about the place. Never use US-05 yeast and I can't understand the current fascination with the fluffy inane stuff (refuses to clear easily) and I generally use BRY-97 (will try "Liberty Bell" next time).

None of my usual convoluted methods, as this beer is very much a side show for me (see my "Victorian" threads!) but I do brew it "full-boil-volume-mash" or emulated BIAB in a Grainfather).

Yeah it was mentioned here dry hopping darker ales

mine is pretty much as 2019 brewdog Recioe but carared instead of caramalt( close anyway I think) and missing some melodinion in with the Munich. Was going to use caramuich iii for medium crystal, and cara aroma for dark crystal as it’s 400ebc

same as you the reason I am shying away from 05 is as you say, it doesn’t clear that well. Not usually a problem but I want this bright. Liberty bell could be an option. Isn’t bry97 the same as 05?

Here’s tonight’s Irish Red. This one was 5% CaraRed 5%, Caramunich I, 1.5% roasted barley.
I think it’s a bit too malty and preferred the previous iteration.
13A7D3C8-AE0D-4D8C-9E5C-1811D9A32DE7.jpeg

Yeah it was mentioned here dry hopping darker ales

mine is pretty much as 2019 brewdog Recioe but carared instead of caramalt( close anyway I think) and missing some melodinion in with the Munich. Was going to use caramuich iii for medium crystal, and cara aroma for dark crystal as it’s 400ebc

same as you the reason I am shying away from 05 is as you say, it doesn’t clear that well. Not usually a problem but I want this bright. Liberty bell could be an option. Isn’t bry97 the same as 05?
BRY-97 and US-05 are the same. The brightest version I brewed was with S-04, and it work for the style and the final beer was crystal clear.

I was looking at a that today. San diago super yeast. Never tried it but sounds good. Or the wyeast American ii

I was looking at a that today. San diago super yeast. Never tried it but sounds good. Or the wyeast American ii
I love it, the current culture is on generation 4 and due another cycle anytime soon. I haven’t used it in an American Amber yet and I’ve got the LAB Irish Red entry to brew next week (WLP004 for that one).
I’ll be doing either a session IPA or DIPA after that brew to give it a chance to wake up and stretch out for a bit.

... Isn’t bry97 the same as 05?

BRY-97 and US-05 are the same. ...

How did I get into one of these "is it" or "isn't it" American yeast arguments? Basically, there is so much complete bol**** speculated about sources of yeast, you can say what you like and some turnip will be backing you up. Next minute it's on some wallchart table and half the brewing world believes it.

I picked out BRY-97 because Lallemand claim it is "a neutral strain with a high flocculation ability". "High flocculation" aren't words I'd connect with US-05. But perhaps Lallemand can be dragged into writing complete bol***** too? So Lallemand are lying? Could be?

Seems to sediment out quite well, but perhaps I'm writing complete bol*****? Could be?

I think I'll just dip out of this insane yeast chatter.

How did I get into one of these "is it" or "isn't it" American yeast arguments? Basically, there is so much complete bol**** speculated about sources of yeast, you can say what you like and some turnip will be backing you up. Next minute it's on some wallchart table and half the brewing world believes it.

I picked out BRY-97 because Lallemand claim it is "a neutral strain with a high flocculation ability". "High flocculation" aren't words I'd connect with US-05. But perhaps Lallemand can be dragged into writing complete bol***** too? So Lallemand are lying? Could be?

Seems to sediment out quite well, but perhaps I'm writing complete bol*****? Could be?

I think I'll just dip out of this insane yeast chatter.
My comment was meant to be helpful, and not as criticism.
US-05 and BRY-97 are just two of the commercially available strains derived from the ‘chico’ strain from Sierra Nevada brewery, and every other major yeast suplier has their own too. Given that there must have been tens of thousands of generations of cells within each company some degree of genetic drift must have occurred. Whether thats enough to make a difference in beers produced with one companies product compared to another’s is a question I can’t answer. Some brewers on here have commented on noticeable differences between strains, but not me.

Neither was my comments a personal criticism. Just an observation I'm being dragged into one of those "trendy" speculative yeast arguments.

This is on the Brewer's Friend site:

In a nutshell, BRY-97 is NOT your typical Chico strain like US-04 <sic>, Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001.

BRR-97 yeast american west coast

BRY-97 accentuates malt character and provides some fruity notes (pineapple, citrus). It also has a huge frothy krausen head and a long lag time compared to US-05.

I'm sure you won't have to look far to find an opposing view.

I’ve ordered bry 97. I’ve used it before but didn’t make a note on clarity as normally I’m not chasing it. I’m a fan of US05 but if this clears better it’s just the job here.

my first stir plate also arrived today so also looking forward to playing around with some liquids again soon including san diago!

Neither was my comments a personal criticism. Just an observation I'm being dragged into one of those "trendy" speculative yeast arguments.

This is on the Brewer's Friend site:

I'm sure you won't have to look far to find an opposing view.

I hadn’t seen that. Everydays a school day.
Looks like I was right about genetic drift. And I failed 3rd MB microbiology, who‘s laughing now :tongue:

On a more practical note, I tended to use BRY-97 in the past when GEB were pushing it. Now there’s a good reason to spend the extra quid on the packet.

I’ve ordered bry 97. I’ve used it before but didn’t make a note on clarity as normally I’m not chasing it. I’m a fan of US05 but if this clears better it’s just the job here. ...
Should say ... BRY-97 has a reputation for being a slow starter. Perhaps? But it has always started within 12-18 hours for me (okay, that may be a bit slow). The other yeast I use when I'm after something "clean" (I take that to mean "no taste") and fairly attenuative is "Nottingham". No slow starts with that! Or US-05-like fluffy sediments.

I don't bother with liquid yeast when after something "clean" (tasteless) and attenuative 'cos many (cheaper!) dry yeasts do that very well.

Yeah, I sort of settled on 05 for everything clean and liquid English yeasts for when a bit of character is called for, although I’ve given liberty Bell a few goes there too. New stir plate has arrived so will probably have a faze of doing more liquids across the board until the novelty wears off!

Latest posts

Back