What am I missing in terms of CO2 parts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got nearly everything I need for CO2. I have lots of line, loads of speedfit connectors. A kegland regulator.
However, it appears I don't have any ball lock disconnects. Am I right in thinking I need a red and yellow one of these?
1717014272463.png

I have a Fermzilla with the pressure kit and it comes with a red one of these, but it's for the spunging valve.
With the bits I bought (job lot), I have screw connectors which would screw directly onto the top of the Fermzilla, but I don't really want to do that, because I can't then disconnect the CO2.

One of the problems I've found with the Fermzilla is that I can find a manual for the actual FV, but it's actually quite rubbish at explaining how to put it all together.

I've got nearly everything I need for CO2. I have lots of line, loads of speedfit connectors. A kegland regulator.
However, it appears I don't have any ball lock disconnects. Am I right in thinking I need a red and yellow one of these?
View attachment 100042
You can either get the grey and black disconnects that Rod mentions, or you can get the kegland ones (grey/red for gas, black/yellow for liquid).

To attach beer/gas line the grey and black disconnects need a JG 3/8" - 1/4" FFL fitting (e.g. https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/john-guest-speedfit-3-8-1-4-ffl). You can see one in Rod's picture above coming off the black disconnect.

If you get the kegland 3/8" disconnects you don't need the JG fitting as the tubing fitting is integral (https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/pair-of-kegland-ball-lock-3-8-push-fit-disconnects).

Many of us find that between the keg and the tap it's helpful to use 3/16" line rather than 3/8" line as it helps reduce foaming when pouring. To use that you need a 3/8 to 3/16 stem reducer.

View attachment 100042

I have a Fermzilla with the pressure kit and it comes with a red one of these, but it's for the spunging valve.
With the bits I bought (job lot), I have screw connectors which would screw directly onto the top of the Fermzilla, but I don't really want to do that, because I can't then disconnect the CO2.

One of the problems I've found with the Fermzilla is that I can find a manual for the actual FV, but it's actually quite rubbish at explaining how to put it all together.
These are the kegland parts you need. Grey and red for gas black and yellow for beer.
IMG_20240530_115933.jpg

IMG_20240530_120011.jpg

If you're using a threaded disconnect you'll need a quarter mfl to 5/16 push fit adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_20240530_120053.jpg
    IMG_20240530_120053.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240530_120059.jpg
    IMG_20240530_120059.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
I use 3/16 for everything except transferring between kegs; it's a lot more flexible so it puts less strain on the fittings and is generally nicer to handle. As mentioned above, a couple of metres of 3/16 between the keg and tap also reduces foaming without the need for complex flow valves on the disconnect or tap.

It's a different scenario in a cellar setting when the gas and/or fonts may be 20-30 metres away from the keg at the end of a python but, in a home bar, there's no real need for a larger bore.

The MM videos have been quite helpful so far.
I think the MM videos are brilliant. In my opinion, they strike the perfect balance, providing good solid information and only promoting their products in a fashion that is relevant, useful and interesting to their audience.

I called up with a query the other day and recognised Rob's voice on the phone! Such a genuinely nice chap!

Latest posts

Back