What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mental note. When you see one of your favourite wines online and it’s only £20 a bottle, double check what size of bottle you’re buyingaheadbutt And it’s not the first time I’ve done this either! I’ve got half a case of these tiny feckers to get through now. On the upside, it’ll only take half the time.

View attachment 98702
This cracked me up. Thank you Alastair! 😂

I’ve been at the pub tonight because they had a clairvoyant and my wife daughter/her friend wanted to go. I spent the evening at the bar because that’s not for me, beer definitely is. Home now and just a taste of my latest batch of bitter before we have friends round tomorrow. It’s nice now but I also know will improve over the next few days as it conditions. Happy Friday folks! 🥳
IMG_6510.jpeg

I’ve been at the pub tonight because they had a clairvoyant and my wife daughter/her friend wanted to go. I spent the evening at the bar because that’s not for me, beer definitely is. Home now and just a taste of my latest batch of bitter before we have friends round tomorrow. It’s nice now but I also know will improve over the next few days as it conditions. Happy Friday folks! 🥳
View attachment 98713
Great line up

Islay malts are not for me (or any of the peated whisky's) I do enjoy a Speyside or Highland malt though 😉
They have toned the peat down on this one to appeal to more pallets. It’s more smoke than peat and I’m very impressed with it to be honest. It’s very smooth. Got it in Tesco with daughters discount for £21. Bargain

A new edition to the growing whiskey collection. Subtle peat with lots of mellow honey and spice notes. View attachment 98714
Subtle peat on a Laphroaig, I’d be looking for a refund. Next thing you’ll be telling me Coal Ila doesn’t taste like sticking plasters anymore!
If you want a low peat Islay, then just drink the second best whiskey in the world ever. They’re the only Islay distillery with a fresh water supply (or so I was told once, while drinking lots of whiskey. So don’t quote me on that).

https://bunnahabhain.com/products/12-year-old

Subtle peat on a Laphroaig, I’d be looking for a refund. Next thing you’ll be telling me Coal Ila doesn’t taste like sticking plasters anymore!
If you want a low peat Islay, then just drink the second best whiskey in the world ever. They’re the only Islay distillery with a fresh water supply (or so I was told once, while drinking lots of whiskey. So don’t quote me on that).

The peat is subtle for a laphroaig but by no means subdued. It’s a bit less in your face than the standard laphroig though. That’s what they were aiming at with this one. Trying to convert the peat haters.

Last edited:

The bunnahabhain is lovely if this is second best what is the best ?

Mental note. When you see one of your favourite wines online and it’s only £20 a bottle, double check what size of bottle you’re buyingaheadbutt And it’s not the first time I’ve done this either! I’ve got half a case of these tiny feckers to get through now. On the upside, it’ll only take half the time.

View attachment 98702
Oh wow. I feel you pain

The bunnahabhain is lovely if this is second best what is the best ?
Middleton all day long. You can pick your vintage according to your budget. 2nd place is a joint honour shared by a wide field.
You have put me in the mood for a nightcap, two contenders. Went Glen Garioch in the end; subtle peat, lots of oak, smooth creamy mouthfeel from the sherry cask, and a floral aftertaste I just can’t quite put a finger on.
I picked right👍

IMG_3186.jpeg

Latest posts

Back