What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my way doon sooth tonight on the big boat. Mind you there really isn’t much North from here. I’m getting to quite enjoy the journey, in part because after handing my key in I have a couple of hours before the bus. So it’s the one evening I get to go to Helgies and see what new ales they have. This is Orkney Blast. It’s a heavy on the new world hops IPA with a bit too much sweetness for my taste. Mind you I’ve just discovered it’s 6.0% so I think I should take my time over it😳.
IMG_0764.jpeg

On my way doon sooth tonight on the big boat. Mind you there really isn’t much North from here. I’m getting to quite enjoy the journey, in part because after handing my key in I have a couple of hours before the bus. So it’s the one evening I get to go to Helgies and see what new ales they have. This is Orkney Blast. It’s a heavy on the new world hops IPA with a bit too much sweetness for my taste. Mind you I’ve just discovered it’s 6.0% so I think I should take my time over it😳.
View attachment 97809
Is that the Helgi's in Harbour Street, Kirkwall?
Never heard of it before!
Enjoy, DocA, you deserve it.

Is that the Helgies in Harbour Street, Kirkwall?
Never heard of it before!
Enjoy, DocA, you deserve it.
Thanks yes it is, great wee pub. Looks a bit rough from the outside but it’s warm friendly and they have small edition beers from the Swannay brewery. Not cheap … so a treat only for days I’m travelling. I gave up on the Blast half way down - it was far too sweet. So this is the ‘Ola’ a Helles lager which is a bit of a relief after the last one.
IMG_0765.jpeg

I'm sure you've said before, but what's your practice for nitro-carbing your stouts? Just time or do you have a carb stone in the keg?
It’s time. I use 30/70 and about 40 psi. The beer becomes carbonated from the CO2 in the mixed gas after a day or two but it takes closer to a month for the nitro to really come good. The wait is not an issue for me because I don’t get through it quickly and I brew well in advance - I’ve not quite finished the one on tap and have one conditioning that’s been sitting at 40psi since October.

1000067678.jpg

Forgot the important bit. A dark lager from @samale.

Lovely chestnut colour, clear dark amber when held to the light. Finger of foam and decent lacing throughout the drink.

Clean aroma. No esters, sulphur, diacetyl, or DMS. Lightly toasted bread, slight woodsy herbal note.

Flavour wise get some caramel and toasty notes, but mostly clean. There's a touch of grassy bitterness I associate with Northern Brewer - interested if you've used this or something similar.

Mouthfeel is quite light and refreshing and washes the pallate.

For personal preference I'd like a touch more bitterness and carbonation.

Overall a nice drinking lager I could sink a few of. Thank you for sending pal

Last edited:
Back