What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FG 1.010, leading to 4.6%ABV. Spot on. Colour actually looks OK and it tastes nice. I was right to dilute as the bitterness is just right for the style. This'll be a good summer drink!View attachment 27213
Two weeks in the FV, carbed very quickly in week 3: rock solid. Going to move them to the garage in a week. I chilled one of my trub bottles today (I say trub, cos the dimples are full unlike the rest). Poured with a huge head (settled down for the photo), looks great, tastes great (malty, right bitterness), great body. Great, great, great!
I'm well impressed with my first forays into AG! 👍
....I'll start a brew day thread from now on

Attachments

• DSC_1609.JPG
    DSC_1609.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Update on my coconut porter. Time to add the coconut. So I frozen two coconut's then beat the hell out of them with a hammer. Good craic after a 12hr day 😁
I then grated the both of them and roasted in the oven. My previous attempt had great flavour but too much oil. Resulting in a thin film on the surface which effects the head on the beer.
IMG_20200614_205029940.jpg
IMG_20200614_211649080.jpg

Sprying a Rye IPA
Doing my first Rye IPA, currently half way through the mash. Using a BIAB batch sparge with my Robobrew tonight , didn't want my evening brew extended with a stuck sparge(most Rye I have used)🤞
View attachment 27670
I brewed a Rye IPA as well today. Only Brew #4 so still on steep learning curve. The grain seemed to soak up more liquid than previous all Barley brews and I forgot to liquor back so ended up with an OG of 1.058 and 10L rather than 11.5 in the FV. Maybe I need to squeeze the BIAbag more. It will be stronger than intended but looking forward to seeing how it works out.

User upper amberish ale today.

46 IBUs

67% pale
15% naked malted oats
15% various pale crystal malts
3% rye for a little Je ne sais quois
And 40g black malt for colour

Centennial for bittering
Cascade and chinook late boil
Mosaic and Columbus steep at 75C

1 pack each Pia and Bry-97

Won't be dry hopping this one as I'm planning on saving and reusing the yeast.

acheers.

20200614_221412.jpg

Update on my coconut porter. Time to add the coconut. So I frozen two coconut's then beat the hell out of them with a hammer. Good craic after a 12hr day 😁
I then grated the both of them and roasted in the oven. My previous attempt had great flavour but too much oil. Resulting in a thin film on the surface which effects the head on the beer.
View attachment 27675
View attachment 27676
So does the roasting get rid of the oil? I imagine it's hard to remove it all without going too roasty.

I'm not sure that roasting the grated coconut will release all of the oil so I recommend:
  • Let the fermentation complete before even thinking of doing anything.
  • Cold Crash for a few days to ensure that the brew clears.
  • Put your finger over the end of any syphon tube as you push it into the brew to prevent oil from the surface getting into the siphon. (The end that ISN'T going into the FV!)
  • Stop the siphoning of the brew well before you pull any oil that may be present on the top. (Don't get greedy!)
Enjoy.

Sorry but had to Edit it it as I had visions of someone sticking an arm into the FV to keep a finger over the end that was going into the brew!

Last edited:
So does the roasting get rid of the oil? I imagine it's hard to remove it all without going too roasty.
Hopefully by grating and roasting it will reduce it. My previous attempt I just cut it with a knife into chucks and roasted.
I'm not sure that roasting the grated coconut will release all of the oil so I recommend:
  • Let the fermentation complete before even thinking of doing anything.
  • Cold Crash for a few days to ensure that the brew clears.
  • Put your finger over the end of any syphon tube as you push it into the brew to prevent oil from the surface getting into the siphon.
  • Stop the siphoning of the brew well before you pull any oil that may be present on the top. (Don't get greedy!)
Enjoy.
Thank you I will keep that in mind, fermentation is complete.

MJ Australian Pale Ale

Made it to 20L (kit is 23L)
MJ M-44 yeast
Dry hopping with kit addition hops 30g Ella 20g Citra + probably another 30g of Citra?
1kg of light spray malt
OG 1.062 @ 20°C

Waggledance
22 litres
4500g MO
500g Honey malt
200g Carapils
450g Honey
35g Bramling Cross @60 minutes
25g EKG @15 minutes
Safale S04
OG 1058

Last edited:
Getting this on later today for an overnight mash. I've been wanting to do something like this for ages, and tasting @Pennine's delicious Munich based IPA gave me a push. My last few Munich beers have had low attenuation so I'm mashing this low and adding some golden syrup to hopefully dry it out a bit.

Munich IPA

Recipe Specs

----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Total Grain (kg): 5.45
Total Hops (g): 220
Estimated OG: 1.059
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.7 %
Colour (SRM): 13
Bitterness (IBU): 52

Grain Bill
----------------
3.5 kg Munich Light (64%)
1.0 kg Munich Dark (18%)
0.5 kg Flaked Oats (9%)
0.2 kg Crystal 80L (4%)

0.250 kg Golden Syrup (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Zeus @ 60 Minutes

20 g Amarillo @ 10 Minutes
20 g Simcoe @ 10 Minutes

20 g Amarillo Whirlpool
20 g Simcoe Whirlpool

60 g Amarillo for 5 Days (Dry Hop)
60 g Simcoe for 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Notes
----------------
Water Profile:
Calcium 160 ppm
Sulphate 225 ppm
Chloride 150 ppm
Alkalinity 50 ppm

Mashed overnight at 64c

Fermented at 21°C with WHC Brexit Ale Yeast

Getting this on later today for an overnight mash. I've been wanting to do something like this for ages, and tasting @Pennine's delicious Munich based IPA gave me a push. My last few Munich beers have had low attenuation so I'm mashing this low and adding some golden syrup to hopefully dry it out a bit.

Munich IPA

Recipe Specs

----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
1.0 kg Munich Dark (18%)
0.5 kg Flaked Oats (9%)
0.2 kg Crystal 80L (4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Zeus @ 60 Minutes

20 g Simcoe @ 10 Minutes

20 g Amarillo Whirlpool
20 g Simcoe Whirlpool

Notes
----------------
Water Profile:
Calcium 160 ppm
Sulphate 225 ppm
Chloride 150 ppm
Alkalinity 50 ppm

Mashed overnight at 64c

that sounds like a great combo for a munich ipa and i like the idea of oats too. reminds me to send you a bottle of my mosaic munich that is ready to go now.

Munich IPA

Recipe Specs

----------------

Grain Bill
----------------
1.0 kg Munich Dark (18%)
0.5 kg Flaked Oats (9%)
0.2 kg Crystal 80L (4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Zeus @ 60 Minutes

20 g Simcoe @ 10 Minutes

20 g Amarillo Whirlpool
20 g Simcoe Whirlpool

Notes
----------------
Water Profile:
Calcium 160 ppm
Sulphate 225 ppm
Chloride 150 ppm
Alkalinity 50 ppm

Mashed overnight at 64c

Got this mashing at the minute, pH was a bit high again at 5.7. I've noticed that (in my experience at least) Munich malt doesn't seem to be as acidic as the calculators say, the predicted pH was 5.4 which is quite a big difference. That's the third time I've seen this in Munich based brews and something I'll have to keep in mind in future.

Got this mashing at the minute, pH was a bit high again at 5.7. I've noticed that (in my experience at least) Munich malt doesn't seem to be as acidic as the calculators say, the predicted pH was 5.4 which is quite a big difference. That's the third time I've seen this in Munich based brews and something I'll have to keep in mind in future.
Also crappy efficiency as I've noted with my Munich beers, even with the overnight mash only 68% BHE but I had expected as much so OG was good.

Back