What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Did you get an answer ? I have the same question. I've made a 1.5L starter for the 1st time, gave it 24 hours on the stir plate, simply because white labs suggest 12-18 hours for a 1L starter.....
Just a thought, you might get more responses by posting this as a new topic, or somewhere more specific (this thread is a long running one pretty much solely to do with what you've been up to in the brew house today).

My 50p worth, if im making a starter, its usually 1.5L in a 2L erlenmeyer on the (homemade) stir plate. I boil the wort (from DME) with a drop of Antifoam to prevent it boiling over. Once cooled I'll add the liquid yeast and run it for 18-24hrs. After a few hours I can see tiny bubbles swirling around (quite subtle). In the morning the bubbles are no more and sometimes (depending on the strain of yeast) they're replaced by tiny clumps of yeast. They seem to have replicated as much as they're going to and are trying to floculate out.

I'm yet to see any krausen in the flask, let alone overflows, this may be due to the Antifoam though.

From there I'll pop it in the fridge to settle and bring it back out, decant the old wort and get it ready to pitch into the next beer-to-be.

In my experience, 18 hours is enough.

I was meant to be starting my ginger bug today for my ginger beer however Tesco delivery rationed my 600g of ginger to ....... 100g !

erm... had to eke out current stock because unable to get replacements in.

2kg light dme
500g wheat
500g dark
mj47 yeast rehydrated.
21g amarillo 20 min boil
oh and a 680ml bottle of silver spoon GS.
21 litres og 1065 @ 22c
pitched at 21c

will dry hop with the other 80g of amarillo l8r.

So I suppose its an abbey-ish beer?

IMG_20200612_230602263.jpg
Brewing years but this is my first time using a wort chiller.

Started GH dry stout last night with the intention of doing overnight mash...but abandoned the idea.
Easy this morning to get the brew going....just switched the gas on!
Note to one's self...buy pH meter as you can't measure the pH of a stout mash with one of those strips of paper... because it turns black!!
Oops! Only 45g of EKG...B-X to the rescue!!
While the boil is on I'm reading through my notes from the last brew and realised I didn't take into account taking the og at 30 degrees. This gives another 2 points and ups my efficiency..

Last edited:
Mashing in a Brooklyn Black Ops clone from BYO book as I type this:

6.8kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Crystal malt
0.25kg Black malt
0.25kg Chocolate malt
0.125kg Roasted barley
0.68kg Demerara sugar
14g Columbus hop @ 15.3% (60 mins)
43g EKG hop (flame out)
2 x US-05 yeast
0.27g Yeast Nutrient

Target OG 1.098, Target FG 1.018. Estimated ABV 10.7%.

Only a few tweaks, like changing Summit to Columbus as bittering hop and the yeast to US-05.

Not going to bother with the Bourbon ageing part as I'm not a huge fan.

Biggest beer I have attempted by far, so fingers crossed that after 6 months conditioning in bottles it'll be a nice Christmas treat 👍

Dunkelweizen is on the boil. It's a tweaked version of the GH recipe. Had to sub in some brown malt to make up for light Munich and not enough Caramunich. Hoping it might add some breadiness.

Not brewed, but I have packaged my Czech Lager, which was the first time I have got to use my 10L mini keg system from BKT. It was surprisingly easy to set up, and I think I’ll buy a few more of these when I have the cash, and a proper CO2 set up.
9F400090-5964-431B-8555-8AF7D8D1EDAD.jpeg

This:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/denali-brewing-co-mother-ale-blonde/
I fancied trying lager yeast at ale temperature. Couldn't get the Mt Hood or Sterling hops so it's only Saaz and Hallertauer in the boil, but they're a safe bet for a decent lager-ish beer. Using 34/70 (Weihenstephan strain apparently?) for the first time too, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
And I've overshot OG by 7 points, this is going to be a bit stronger than I expected!!

IMG_20200613_141300.jpg

All done. I chilled to 30,gonna leave it til it drops to 20 before pitching.
Another increase in efficiency...I had my system constant at around 69/70%.
Last week's brew was up to 72.5%,today I got 73.9%...
Looking at my notes...my current batch of pale malt from MM is Crisp,I've used it before,previous malt was Crisp Maris otter,only other difference is last week I stopped using the hop spider and just chucked the hops into the kettle...

21 litre (fake) Vienna Lager
5kg Vienna Malt
100g Wheat Malt
100g black malt
10g Summit 60 mins
20g Mandarina Bavaria 15 mins
30g Mandarina Bavaria 0 mins
MJ M52 Cali Common yeast
OG 1.052
IBU 27
SRM 12.4

Latest posts