What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got around 10 days to sort itself out 😃😃
I need the keg
IMG_20210802_202151600.jpg

Only time for a quick kit tweak up, brewferm Belgian dubbel plus 1/4 lb oats, 1/4 lb wheat + 1 lb dark DME, small brew 10 litres off like a rocket, m47 yeast as it was an old kit. Made this before without the oats and was good after 6mths, great after 9!

I'm having a go at Tanglefoot's ESB#2. it looks simple enough; what could possibly go wrong? 😃 First use of my shiny new bag of malt from local brewery. It's not MO, though, just Best Pale, that's what they use.

tanglefoot1.jpeg

Tanglefoot ESB looking good! FG came in at a whacking 1060, so I had to dilute, added 1.5 litres of water. So unusually high efficiency for me by the look of it. I have never had a beer so clear in the hydrometer jar before, though. Following a suggestion I read here yesterday, I kept Protofloc back to -5 minutes, rather than -10. So whether that has anything to do with it, I don't know.

Re-calculating, efficiency hits the dizzy height of 73%, probably a record for me!

Last edited:
I've been thinking abut 'pseudo-lagers' again, as I have no cooling facilities. I'm having a go at a Kolsch, recipe courtesy of poster @Ahdinko. I'm going to use K-97 yeast. It says on the packet, temp range 12-25 deg, ideally 15-20 deg. So that seems pretty tolerant.
I’ve been using M54 Californian lager yeast, all have turned out pretty good 👍

I brewed @foxbat Munich dunkel with some slight modifications

3 kg Dark Munich
1.4 kg Vienna malt
400g cara munich 2
50g Carafe 3
18g Magnum fwh
25g Saaz @5 mins

40 min boil
OG 1.052 for 21 litres
Yeast wyeast Czech 2278

Currently cooling before pitching. Fermenting at 12 degrees 👍

I did an over night mash @66 then did a mash out when I got up this morning

I brewed @foxbat Munich dunkel with some slight modifications

3 kg Dark Munich
1.4 kg Vienna malt
400g cara munich 2
50g Carafe 3
18g Magnum fwh
25g Saaz @5 mins

40 min boil
OG 1.052 for 21 litres
Yeast wyeast Czech 2278

Currently cooling before pitching. Fermenting at 12 degrees 👍

I did an over night mash @66 then did a mash out when I got up this morning
Looks good to me. I'll definitely be doing Weyermann's recipe again in my next run of lagers.

Hi all. A kind member on this forum gave me 5 demijohns last week so I thought I'd try a few experiments.
2 of them are looking good. The pineapple addition to turbo cider, well, here it is.

Attachments

• pc.mp4
    20.2 MB
The kolsch I brewed a while back has been sitting in its bucket under a krausen for what seems (to me, although perhaps not you guys) to be forever. That is, ten days. So I thought I'd have a look today, and sure enough, the krausen was by now only paper-thin. Pushed it aside with a spatula, and all looked good underneath, and gravity had fallen to around 1011. So I transferred it into demi-johns to let it settle for a few days (and hopefully clear a little further) before bottling.

Today was my first attempt at all grain using the shiny new klarstein fullhorn that my wife gave me for my birthday.

So I learnt that when it goes ping on first reaching boiling, I need to remove the lid & start stirring, even when my volume is well below the full mark.
It's so much faster to boil than stove top partial mash in a stock pot.

Finished boil around 2pm & still waiting for wort to cool enough to pitch the yeast.

Today was my first attempt at all grain using the shiny new klarstein fullhorn that my wife gave me for my birthday.

So I learnt that when it goes ping on first reaching boiling, I need to remove the lid & start stirring, even when my volume is well below the full mark.
It's so much faster to boil than stove top partial mash in a stock pot.

Finished boil around 2pm & still waiting for wort to cool enough to pitch the yeast.
[/QUOTE wait until you get it this full, I don’t leave the lid on while I wait
A87B100E-801B-4371-9F49-FF51170E81B5.jpeg
33898A46-F2F5-4554-96A6-8B8806108021.jpeg
33898A46-F2F5-4554-96A6-8B8806108021.jpeg

Back