What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wit does indeed sound lovely. And I have all the ingredients, apart from the oranges.

Was the coriander seeds, or powder?

Today my Hazelwood stout went into secondary FV. That was a hell of a lot of brown mud in the bottom of the bucket! 😃 It's supposed to finish 'high', and with a gravity of 1020 now, I reckon I'm on track.

1.020 is high, is that expected final gravity

Target FG is 1018. it's still working, and has only been going a few days (yeast pitched on the 9th this month).

I expect it drop to 1018, or more likely a little lower, so as I say, I reckon it's on track.

Actually, on that stout, it's just struck me that my normal practice is when going to secondary FV, to add a few spoonful of the trub/primordial soup from the bottom to each demi-john to ensure it keeps fermenting. And like a muppet, I forgot to do that this time. I've washed everything up and thrown away the trub now. But I think it's soupy enough to keep going on its own, so I reckon it'll probably be OK.

And the adding a couple of teaspoons thing is a relatively recent innovation/improvement that I've been trying; I haven't always done it.

Being a long morning made the mistake of deciding to bottle my Yorkshire bitter kit (forgotten how time consuming it is to wash and sanitise 40 bottles before filling and capping them but it’s done.) Beer itself thankfully tastes like green bitter with no off flavours (was a tad nervous as temperatures got a little higher than I would have liked but should give me forty bottles of 4% session bitter in late September.

Now just waiting for my latest batch to come to the boil. It’s a 9L SMASH (Pop’s Pale Malt and Brewers Gold which I will be fermenting with a packet of CML Voss Kveik)

Just got today's brew in the fermentor. It's a pilsner with huell melon. 93% pilsner malt and 7% munich for colour and a bit of malt goodness.

First time using my grain mill and efficiency has gone through the roof. Expected an SG of 1.047 but got 1.052 with an extra litre of wort in the fermentor. Brewfather says its 86% brewhouse efficiency, calcs were based on the 75% I usually get with pre-crushed grain. Means a 5.3% beer when I was aiming for 4.7%. Didn't bother adjusting the hops as I was leaning towards the bitter side as it was but I'll need to adjust for the IPA I've got planned in a couple of weeks.

The pilsner is fermenting under pressure and will rack onto gelatine when it's done. Should be nice and clear for my 40th in October. Think it could be difficult to limit myself to samples before the big day.

Second go on the brewzilla a golden ale
8E966940-550D-42D0-B0C1-9413627F55E8.jpeg

Actually, on that stout, it's just struck me that my normal practice is when going to secondary FV, to add a few spoonful of the trub/primordial soup from the bottom to each demi-john to ensure it keeps fermenting. And like a muppet, I forgot to do that this time. I've washed everything up and thrown away the trub now. But I think it's soupy enough to keep going on its own, so I reckon it'll probably be OK.

And the adding a couple of teaspoons thing is a relatively recent innovation/improvement that I've been trying; I haven't always done it.

I can't help thinking that I've messed up there, and that had I done that, it would have dropped the extra couple of points. I don't imagine it will be disastrous, but that sort of carelessness separates the really good from the just OK sometimes. :mad:

I've bottled a third of it; I'll do the rest either tonight or tomorrow.

And in fact another thought has occurred: here I am cursing the fact that I'd thrown all the trub away, but I could easily have purloined a bit from the bottom the parsnip stout I have going. And I didn't think to do that either! Oh well...

Brewing a Pale Kellerbier (German Pils) today. All Bohemian Pilsner, leftover Tettnang and Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops, and Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. Shooting for 1.047 OG and around 21 litres.

Planning on using the yeast cake for a Baltic Porter, so I'm approaching the Kellerbier as a drinkable starter.

Back