What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I brewed a Favourite IPA, recipe courtesy of poster Nick90 of this parish. All seemed to go very smoothly, Now I just have to wait until morning to check FG and pitch the yeast. 😃

FG came in at 1047, giving me a very pleasing brewhouse efficiency of 71%, and a probable ABV of about 5%. I think I have a handle on it now, having modified my bag-squeezing and bag-prodding procedures 😃

Trial invented brew using Hukins farm (local to me) purchased Challenger and Ernest hops English hoppy pale ale (mashed yesterday, now fermenting).
I recommenced brewing last year by using saved 'Bag in a box' polypins (p/p) for fermenting, as I had lost my brew bucket in a move. Found it went well, so I continue doing it.
Hob-top batch sizes only.
This brew was my 2nd from the new to me 30L Hopcat all-in-one.
Bitter was first, that was 16L but I had wasted headroom in the 20L p/p. I used a piece of kitchen roll on the open tap spout held on by a rubber band to keep out the bugs.
So this I made aiming at 20L. OG came in at SG1046, no adjustment needed so just right.
The lack of headspace this time concerned me, in case of krausen coming out the top tap.
So I made up this 'Heath Robinson' washing up bowl krausen catcher and airlock combo.
Yeast pitched last night at 2100hrs, now 1300hrs. Nice vigorous small-bubble krausen with regular bubbling in the glass.
IMG_20210819_130751.jpg
IMG_20210819_131138.jpg

The yeast was saved from a pale ale previously made with Wilko Danstar (Nottingham).
Must say I'm quite pleased with my creative effort.
Hop aroma in the glass is elegant. Early days yet!

Having a go at a Hazelwood Stout (the one with melanoidin). Stepped mash is a bit hi-tech for me, but I'm giving it a go! 😃
I’ve not checked in on this thread for a while (clearly!) but thanks for giving my stout a go. I hope you like it!

I see @The-Engineer-That-Brews has already commented on step-mashing. It’s not at all complicated really and hopefully you’ll be able to tell the difference with a more luxurious mouthfeel and creamy head.

The above stout looks promising: target OG met. thumb. I'm assuming the high figure for FG is due to the relatively high mashing temp? I'll be interested to see what mine drops to.
Great job on hitting OG! Yes, the higher FG (1018) is the result of extracting long-chain (unfermentable) sugars using a reasonably long stand at 71C and again at 77C (mash-out).

Today my Hazelwood stout went into secondary FV. That was a hell of a lot of brown mud in the bottom of the bucket! 😃 It's supposed to finish 'high', and with a gravity of 1020 now, I reckon I'm on track.
That’s right, nothing to worry about. You will get a beautiful dense chocolatey yeast cake from this recipe. All good athumb..

Today my Hazelwood stout went into secondary FV. That was a hell of a lot of brown mud in the bottom of the bucket! 😃 It's supposed to finish 'high', and with a gravity of 1020 now, I reckon I'm on track.
That’s right, nothing to worry about. You will get a beautiful dense chocolatey yeast cake from this recipe. All good athumb..

Things i learned today, don't drop the little extention when doing the mash :laugh8: buy a blanking plug for the false bottom that overflow pipe is a pita, recirculation gives the clearest wort i have ever had, overall so far i well chuffed and a big shout out to ABH for first class service i placed the order Sunday delivered Tuesdays athumb..

Yeah I've noticed the tiniest little knock on the recirculation tube and my camlock comes undone and then I have the squirts 😂

So now I set it to the correct level and walk away lol

I hadn't seen the designation "landlady" before. Is this new or was I simply not being observant? If the former, who argued for the change?

Agreed. Preferably Indian coriander.

I think you mean dhaniya! sick...

Anyway, that 'beautiful dense chocolatey yeast cake' was poured straight down the drain!

So on your stout, Hazelwood, I ended up with OG of 1052 and FG of 1019, so on track pretty much; time will tell!

A Hazy NEIPA style, with 100g of sweet oj peel and a jar of Marmelade added to boil. 26L into fermenter and OG 1.063, from previous should drop to 1.01fg so around 7%abv

Latest posts

Back