What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 10L CML Oatmeal Stout All Grain kit I had previously brewed a one gallon version of this and was rather pleased with it so decided to scale up to 10L so I can fill a 9.5L keg with it.

Brew day went smoothly and now just waiting for the beer to cool down to pitching temperature.

A 10L CML Oatmeal Stout All Grain kit I had previously brewed a one gallon version of this and was rather pleased with it so decided to scale up to 10L so I can fill a 9.5L keg with it.

Brew day went smoothly and now just waiting for the beer to cool down to pitching temperature.

I've just logged on to say that I've just finished brewing an oatmeal stout as well!

Mine's going in a 12l keg and was my own recipe (though I think it's fairly run of the mill)

66% maris otter
14% oats
9% chocolate malt
7% crystal
4% roasted barley

28g EKG @ 30 mins
19g EKG @ 10 mins

Was planned to come out at 1.046 but apparently I don't get the same efficiency out of the brewzilla with a small batch as it came out at 1.042. Should come in at around 4.3% which is fine by me.

I was going to ferment with voss but decided against it as voss takes ages to clear. Using some CML real ale yeast I found in a drawer instead. It's going in the fermentation fridge @ 20c and will be cold crashed and fined with gelatine. I want to try and get this as clear as possible to see if I can get those nice hints of ruby at the edge of the glass.

I've just logged on to say that I've just finished brewing an oatmeal stout as well!

Mine's going in a 12l keg and was my own recipe (though I think it's fairly run of the mill)

66% maris otter
14% oats
9% chocolate malt
7% crystal
4% roasted barley

28g EKG @ 30 mins
19g EKG @ 10 mins

Was planned to come out at 1.046 but apparently I don't get the same efficiency out of the brewzilla with a small batch as it came out at 1.042. Should come in at around 4.3% which is fine by me.

I was going to ferment with voss but decided against it as voss takes ages to clear. Using some CML real ale yeast I found in a drawer instead. It's going in the fermentation fridge @ 20c and will be cold crashed and fined with gelatine. I want to try and get this as clear as possible to see if I can get those nice hints of ruby at the edge of the glass.

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/beer-recipes?pgid=kxiv4pte-fadb96f8-bdd4-4951-a10b-5916a9adb990
76.19% Pale
7.62% Crystal
7.62% Chocolate
8.57% Oat

The CML kit is a bit heavier on the pale and a bit lighter on the oats (plus lacks the roasted barley) it makes for a fairly smooth beer, I was almost tempted to try adding half a pound of honey to it as well but would have likely pulled the ABV up above what I like (The last batch I did came in about 5.5% and the honey would probably push me over the 6% range which is a bit much for a beer I enjoy by the pint).

I would be curious how Voss works in a stout I mostly use CML Beoir for mine which I find is a nice and reliable and pretty neutral flavour wise but I don’t have a fermentation fridge so tend to use Voss in the summer, but have mostly only made pale ale’s with it,

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/beer-recipes?pgid=kxiv4pte-fadb96f8-bdd4-4951-a10b-5916a9adb990
76.19% Pale
7.62% Crystal
7.62% Chocolate
8.57% Oat

The CML kit is a bit heavier on the pale and a bit lighter on the oats (plus lacks the roasted barley) it makes for a fairly smooth beer, I was almost tempted to try adding half a pound of honey to it as well but would have likely pulled the ABV up above what I like (The last batch I did came in about 5.5% and the honey would probably push me over the 6% range which is a bit much for a beer I enjoy by the pint).

I would be curious how Voss works in a stout I mostly use CML Beoir for mine which I find is a nice and reliable and pretty neutral flavour wise but I don’t have a fermentation fridge so tend to use Voss in the summer, but have mostly only made pale ale’s with it,

I'd imagine Voss would work fine in a stout if fermented at standard ale temps as it tends to be quite clean. At higher temps it does have that orange thing going on which I'm not sure about. A chocolate orange stout could be interesting.

Do you have issues with clarity in the pale ales you've used it on?

I'd imagine Voss would work fine in a stout if fermented at standard ale temps as it tends to be quite clean. At higher temps it does have that orange thing going on which I'm not sure about. A chocolate orange stout could be interesting.

Do you have issues with clarity in the pale ales you've used it on?
Clarity wise yes, but more often than not the beer I am brewing is just for me, so I take the view if it is a little hazy but still tastes good then what does it matter.

With regards to the orange thing I find it doesn’t really occur for me unless I go to the upper end of the temperature range 36°C+ and in a pale ale the orange flavour can be rather pleasant so I see it as a feature rather than a flaw. Not so sure about how an orange flavour would work in a stout but I am kind of tempted to find out. I know you can get Kveik yeasts that are meant to be more neutral flavoured at the higher temps, but as they seem to be all liquid yeasts I am somewhat loath to use them when I can pick up a sachet of dried Voss for £3 from CML.

Just in the middle of mashing a stout,

Maris Otter 3.8Kg
Flaked Torrefied Barley 500g
Roast Barley 450g
Chocolate malt 150g
Dextrin malt 120g

East Kent goldings 65g 60mins

Cml beoir yeast

Finished a doppelbock (og 1.064),
4.5L
Munich 2 & Vienna 650g each
Caramunich 2 100g

Mittelfrueh 5g @ 60
10g @ 10
90 min mash, 30 @ 50, 60 @~68/70 following a decoction(ISH)
120min boil

SafLager 34/70

I made a Doppelbock as well. The intent though is to make an Eisbock out of it.
3 kg Bohemian Pilsner
3 kg Vienna
3 kg Munich Type I
26 IBU with Saaz at 60 min
Ended-up with 20 litres at an OG of 1.085. Pitched on top of Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager (from an 8 litre starter). Inkbird is set to 10°C.

Once primary is done, and it's lagered a bit comes the challenging part of the freezing process. First time trying this.

Mashing in a saison. I was a bit light on pilsner malt

2.4kg pilsner
1kg Vienna malt
400g wheat
300g sugar

15g magnum@60mins
20g hallertau blanc@10mins
30g hallertau blanc@flameout
50g hallertau blanc@dryhop

Yeast will be wyeast french saison 3711

I will update later with figures. Hopefully around 1.050 for 20 litres

Just sparging my New Zealand Pilsner:

4kg German Pilsen
250g Carapils
125g Pale Wheat

14g Saaz @ 60mins
14g Nelson Sauvin @ 15mins
14g Rakau @ 15mins
14g Nelson Sauvin @ Flameout
14g Rakau @ Flameout
28g Motueka @ Dry Hop (Day 9)

Aiming for around 1050 OG 1015 FG 4.3 ABV

Fermenting @ 11.5c for 14 days
Diacetyl Rest @ 15c for 3 days
4 Weeks Lagering @ 2c

No boil user upper (5l)

1kg Vienna (UK)
500g Diastatic Amber
132g Chevallier Pale
100g rolled oats

10g Mittelfrueh + Tettnang mix (Mash)

Dregs from 2 bottles of Boom Oude Gueze

OG: 1.066, will see what we're at in a few months time

22.5 litres Antipodean Bass Pale Ale clone. OG 1,054, IBU 33, SRM 15.3
4.8 kg NZ Ale Malt
1.0 kg Flaked corn
0.45 kg Dark Crystal late addition
0.25 kg NZ Gladiator Malt late addition
0.04 kg Voyager Roast Barley late addition
24 g Northern Brewer 60 mins
15 g Northern Brewer 15 mins
Pushed the Guten to its limits, aimed for 23 litres just fell short, liquor was about 3-4 mm from the top of the kettle.
001.JPG
740 g late addition grains.
002.JPG
wort almost to the top.
004.JPG
On target.

Another batch of my Flakey Bitter. A plain-ish, grainy bitter that I like a lot.

nom 15 litre batch:

2925 g Best Ale
75 g Dark Crystal
150 g Flaked Barley
22 g Roasted Barley.
1 1/2 hr mash @ 65 deg

11 g Magnum @ 60
24 g Fuggles @ -15
1/2 Protofloc @ -5

S-04 yeast - suits the style.

Squeezed a brew inbetween work commitments this afternoon - a Cali Common, based on a recipe from Jon Finch. Funny thing is though, when putting the recipe into Brewersfriend, it's way off from what the style should be. It's matching much better with an American Wheat Beer.

Anyway, despite a couple of rain showers, I managed to get a successful brew completed, getting a litre more than planned (20L instead of 19L) into the FV, and still hitting the planned OG of 1.051.

Never had a Cali Common/American Wheat, so looking forward to this one.

Latest posts

Back