What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an AG top dog stout in the mash tun, 19ltrs Pale, Chocolate and Black Malt, & Torrified Wheat, plus Challenger for the full boil. Old school stylee recipe.

Think I’m going for single Apollo and
I’m going to go for a pale ale with a small amount of crystal as suggested.

But with a twist . A litre of frozen grapefruit juice in at flame out .

Hopefully this will tease out the grapefruit citrus at dry hop .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a Simcoe hop tea tonight - never done the hop tea before. Just whacked it in. See what happens ! Bit of a whim !

Just finished bottling my Old Peculiar clone. Only down to 1.022 FG after nearly 3 weeks, but with an OG of 1.070, it still gives a healthy 6.3% ABV. Because of the hot weather, I couldn't get the wort much below 24°C, so pitched at about 23.5°C and stuck in brewfridge, set at 19°C. It went off like a train and I was worried that there would be some unwanted flavours in there, but the sample jar tasted encouraging.

Am planning to make a Centennial SMaSH over the weekend, with some nice fresh hops thanks to Divrack. Still tinkering with the recipe, may sneak in 500g light crystal for flavour. Either way, 36 litres of Ashbeck of standby.

Just pitched MJ Liberty Bell into a Sour IPA, hopped with Hallertau Blanc and Cascade. Did the boil today, but the mash was done on Thursday night and then 'Kettle' soured in a corny keg with Lactobacillus Plantarum probiotic capsules. Got it down to pH3.2 after 36 hours at 36c. Will be dry hopped with more Blanc when fermented out.

IMG_20180728_165425.jpg
all done....a bit over 23l to fv bang on with recipe of 1051. Managed to get it down to 25 with my chiller so going to pitch straight away.

Finished making a Centennial IPA earlier. Mashed slightly cool at 64°C, in the hope of fermenting down below 1.020. Chilled with the wort recirculating until it dropped to 65°C before starting to fill the FV, came through at 22°C and pitched immediately. Got nearly 24l in FV, although with a lot of cold break. Hit my O.G. bang on at 1.062. Will transfer to secondary next weekend and dry hop a week later.

All cleaned up now and enjoying a pint of my Kolsch, which is drinking quite nicely now.

Finished making a Centennial IPA earlier. Mashed slightly cool at 64°C, in the hope of fermenting down below 1.020. Chilled with the wort recirculating until it dropped to 65°C before starting to fill the FV, came through at 22°C and pitched immediately. Got nearly 24l in FV, although with a lot of cold break. Hit my O.G. bang on at 1.062. Will transfer to secondary next weekend and dry hop a week later.

All cleaned up now and enjoying a pint of my Kolsch, which is drinking quite nicely now.

After 48 hours, there was no action, either from the airlock or any sign of krausen. I guess there must have been an issue with the packet of yeast I used on Sunday, Mangrove Jacks New World Strong Ale. Have just re-pitched with CML US Pale and a spare 5g pack of kit yeast I had in my fridge, I hope it kicks off now.

Bottled my first experiment with sour beer. A 100% extra pale DME kettle soured with Brevis. 10 litre batch - 5 left plain, 5 on raspberries.

At bottling the plain one tasted pretty 1 dimensional (should have dry hopped it for flavour). Raspberry one tasted excellent for a first crack though! Shame I've only got 1 gallon of up :beer1:

just sampled my sour.....

Amazing! - a bloody miracle! - ph4 - tastes sharp and apple-y.

one snag is that it's at 1.035 which gives 4.2% - i've no idea what a sour can get down to, does it need a high attenuating yeast to get it down further?

Bottled up my Apollo 9 using Golden Promise for the first time as Base Malt.
Always used MO.
It seems to carry the Hops better, either that or I’m a big Apollo fan.
This has promise......

See what I did there ?

I did an extract clone of a Westmalle Belgian Tripel. The OG was 1.086 with an expected FG of 1.015. I added extra cane sugar. I used 2 packs of dry yeast (T-58). Should begin bubbling any minute now....

Just ordered a few bits for a Belgian Blonde.

Tettnang, Saaz, MJ Belgian Ale yeast and a spot of wheat malt.

James Morton - don’t let me down !

My first rebrew of a recipe in 15 batches. Red IPA from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. This was delicious last time but I mucked up my carbonation & it was flat as a pancake. Hoping it stays delicious but I prime it right this time!

Not a day to stick around in the brewshed during the boil though!
IMG_20180802_141823570.jpeg
IMG_20180802_141832569.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

just sampled my sour.....

Amazing! - a bloody miracle! - ph4 - tastes sharp and apple-y.

one snag is that it's at 1.035 which gives 4.2% - i've no idea what a sour can get down to, does it need a high attenuating yeast to get it down further?
Time is all it needs. The yeast from Boon should get the gravity very low, with time. Ale should should finish around 4 to 4.5 pH using Saccharomyces. Your Boon dregs and Yoghurt Lactobacillus should take it to 3 to 3.5 pH, but this may take months. So it looks like both the yeast and bacteria are only part way through the job.

What IBUs is the brew? Souring bacteria don't always perform well in the presence of hops. And yeast doesn't always perform well in the presence of lactic acid. A Saison yeast will drop the gravity a bit quicker though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Time is all it needs. The yeast from Boon should get the gravity very low, with time. Ale should should finish around 4 to 4.5 pH using Saccharomyces. Your Boon dregs and Yoghurt Lactobacillus should take it to 3 to 3.5 pH, but this may take months. So it looks like both the yeast and bacteria are only part way through the job.

What IBUs is the brew? Souring bacteria don't always perform well in the presence of hops. And yeast doesn't always perform well in the presence of lactic acid. A Saison yeast will drop the gravity a bit quicker though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Cheers Sadfield,

i've used no hops so far. it is ph4 already. I replaced the lid after taking the sample and the airlock is bubbling again. If it's likley to end up around 1.002 i'd be looking to bottle straight from fv at around 1.010 ish with no extra priming sugar. Which in theory would make it the easiest beer i've ever made :eek:

Today I brewed the Irish Export Stout from James Morton's book.

My stouts and porters are usually a bit meh, but it's been a year since I brewed a dark beer so hopefully I've improved since then.

Latest posts

Back