What do you stand your Kettle /Brewzilla / Grainfather /Brewtools etc on?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to confess mine was in the discount aisle at Aldi. And it the time I wasn't sure what I wanted it for.... And that it got home and found the BM... Then I bought a couple more. Brilliant

My Brewzilla sits on an upside down recycling box with a bit of ply screwed to to it. High enough to fit the fermenter under the tap and low enough to lift the malt pipe ,the HLT is on the garage bench. Cheap and cheerful know but it does the job.

A question for all as I'm trying to plan my brewspace a bit better.
At present my Klarstein sits on a trolley which works well for the short cable to reach the socket but isn't ideal as it is quite high and I need a step stool to stir or do much with the wort. I've also set up a pulley above it to lift the mash basket which has been transformative. The brewzilla now just functions as a sparge heater for now. I'd like to bring them a bit lower down, and I'd appreciate other's sharing experience of what they keep their boiler on. Ideally I'd like something a foot or so high with a perforated metal shelf/surface that was robust enough too...any thoughts?

View attachment 68289
I've had problems with my grainfather power tripping, so I bought one of these Move-It 11027 Platform Dolly With Grip Pads, Heavy-Duty Anti-Slip Transport Roller Trolley For Moving Furniture & Equipment, 180kg Load Capacity, Wooden (45 x 30cm),Multi-colour : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science , drilled a hole in the centre so I can reset the kill switch and of course, you can move the unit around easily.

Power tripping is solvable.
Use shorter power leads. Never roll up extentions. Tbh avoid all extentions.
Use best quality cable.
I know they all have the same plug on, but all power leads are NOT the same.

Also make sure there it nothing else is "ON", on that main while you are brewing... Think big load stuff. Washer, dryer, kettle etc..

Finally off that all fails. You can increase the breaker type rating, so it is less sensitive.

Very rarely is it the beer machine, normally problem the starts 20cm away 😁😁

Power tripping is solvable.
Use shorter power leads. Never roll up extentions. Tbh avoid all extentions.
Use best quality cable.
I know they all have the same plug on, but all power leads are NOT the same.

Also make sure there it nothing else is "ON", on that main while you are brewing... Think big load stuff. Washer, dryer, kettle etc..

Finally off that all fails. You can increase the breaker type rating, so it is less sensitive.

Very rarely is it the beer machine, normally problem the starts 20cm away 😁😁
I agree with all of the above, but why do they make the fixed cables so short ! (BZv3)

TBH the cables they are supplied with, are all very close to the limit because they are built down to a price.

Most units are 2500 - 3000 watts. That load is right up there for domestic wiring. Buying or better building a lead to the right length and no nore, with quality flex would be best.

B&D Workmate - could do with being 6 inch lower to assist with bag lifting.

Attachments

• IMG_20230330_164640.jpg
    IMG_20230330_164640.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone lower their stand to remove the malt pipe instead of using a hoist?

It's an idea I have never quite found the right stand for.

Last edited:
So I brew in my garage and when not in use the G40 sits on some racking along with a host of other bits including the tea urn sparge water heater.
stand1.jpg

The secret is the stowaway shelf stored under the racking...you can see it just peeking out in the first picture. The hinged legs (see picture below) allows the shelf to sit low enough to fit under the racking but, when unhinged (as in the "left leg") the shelf height rises to within less than a cm of the height of the bottom shelf in the shelving unit.
stand2.jpg

Moving the G40 into the brewing position is little more than sliding it off the raking unit onto the shelf. The height of the shelf is such that it raises the lower valve just height enough off the floor for me to get a bucket under it or to allow me to easily drain off some wort but keeps the G40 unit low enough that I can easily raise the malt pipe and having done so, the malt pipe is lower than the tea urn sparge water heater that is on the middle shelf of the racking unit.
stand3.jpg

Ultimately what I plan to do is to attach the shelf that the G40 sits on when brewing, to the lower shelf of the racking unit by a couple of hinges, which would allow me to fold up the shelf, effectively making a "front door" to the racking unit that I can put a padlock on for added security.

For my BZ 3.1.1 ... Two milk crates (bolted together) and a square of plywood screwed onto it. I drilled a load of holes through the plywood for air circulation as well.
Seems to work well regarding height for lifting the basket, using the controls and transferring to my fermenter.

I have mine on an garage workbench and use my daughter's toilet stool to get the touch higher I need to lift the grain basket. Just don't tell her where it went, she learned to hop on the toilet anyway. 😂

This is mine. Not quite finished as I want a cupboard under the hlt for cleaning materials etc. Used some left over pvc panels for tops so spills can be cleaned up and it's all on lockable castors so that it can be moved about the garage.

IMG_20230414_080335.jpg

Latest posts

Back