What does your brew kit do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I what to find a all-in-kettle (grainfather, brewzilla, klarstein etc) for a mate which will do cold overnight mashing. What does yours do?

I have a BM20 which I run overnight by programming the first 3 steps to hold 20c / 180mins equalling a 9 hour delayed start.

Does anyone know of another machine that can do a delayed start?

#1 ... Could be run on a timer switch and when turned on would just go into mash without further intervention?

#2 ... Could be started for 5 mins and then turned off and would 'resume' later (with a timer switch)

What does yours do?

Hi Mash
You made it over to this forum at last.

I think the grainfather has a delayed start option
But does not have a pump rest option.
This is the issue I came up when I tried to adapt a GF connect to my Braumeister. On an overnight the pump would run continuously.
Have recently tried a 20/20 brew with great results.
20 minute mash 20 minute boil hop quantities change for these type of brews.

Hello mate, was thinking about you the other day.

I have been experimenting with (&thinking hard about) the no boil. There is a very little trub, so you could go from pressing start (dough in) all the way to chilled & ready for yeast with out touching it. 😱 No Really. In fact it is next up.

Does the grainfather controller resume operation after power fail?

I’ve got a Brewzilla v3.

You can program steps into it, delayed starts etc but when I want to do delayed starts I find it simpler to plug it into an Alexa WiFi plug, set the desired mash temp, make sure the elements are switched on and then turn it off using the WiFi.

I can then either set the time I want it to come on or I have switched it on using my phone before when I am leaving work so that the water was up to temp by the time I got home.

Check the power rating on the plug is big enough for the brewing system though, mine are rated at 3kW so work fine.

Hello mate, was thinking about you the other day.

I have been experimenting with (&thinking hard about) the no boil. There is a very little trub, so you could go from pressing start (dough in) all the way to chilled & ready for yeast with out touching it. 😱 No Really. In fact it is next up.

Did not complete my conversion as my BM steamed up controller still does the trick.
I will plug the GF controller and simulate a power cut and see what happens.

I think it does. I can't remember whether it's automatic, or controlled from the app, or requires you to say "yes" to as prompt though. But I've definitely had the power kick out and continue the brew uninterrupted

Hmm. Interesting. What is you don't use the app me thinks. 🤔
Running a brew off the app is the most sensible approach; it tracks the brew day, automates mash steps and you can keep a record in app of all your numbers for all your brews. I can’t imagine not using it if you have gone to the bother of getting an all-in-one system in the first place.
I haven’t looked at the controller when restarting, but I’d imagine a similar message appears on it.

I don't quite know why you would want to run the grainfather without the app. The controls on the box work, but it's far FAR easier to use the app. It automates all the steps for you and input is much easier on a phone.

Does the controller not automate the steps, or are grainfather now shipping a brainless controller and your phone does all the work?

You can program the controller separately by going through lots of button press combinations while looking at the manual to make sure you navigate the various sub menus in the correct order, if that’s your sort of thing. The brains are all in the controller, the app just simplifies the process of delivering what can be quite complicated instructions to a device with 3 buttons on the outside.

Back