What happens if I don’t cold crash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not necessary. If you're making your first brew, I suggest your first challenge is to make something drinkable. Not just by you, but by others because if you made it, it'll always taste better to you.

Cold crashing is not at all necessary

It helps speed up the process through which the beer clears - but nothing else

Alternatives are:

- add some gelatin
- leave it longer to condition (longer conditioning time also improves flavour)
- drink it whilst it is still cloudy
- go to the pub (now that you can again)

You don't need to cold crash to make a good beer.After doing a few extract kits and having good results the next step was a 2nd hand fridge and ink bird.

Most of the time you can get free fridges and an ink bird for £30 huge improvement to the quality of my brews!!

Will leave all grain, closed transfers and kegging for latter acheers.

If @Dutto was around he'd tell you that gravity and time are the brewers friends.
You don't need to cold crash. For those that are impatient cold crashing can help clear the beer, but time and gravity will do just as good a job or better. Cold conditioning any beer does something to improve it whether a lager or an ale, but it's not absolutely necessary.

My first cold crash, when I was able to do it, just made the brew clear quicker even before packaging.

It was a Mangrove Jacks cider, which I’ve done several times before, and cold crashing made my bottle condition part of the brew clear within 7 days, the remainder is in a corny keg ready for the summer.

All depends on your expectations with the brew and what your brewing. If your hoping for a crystal clear lager then yes it a must. If it’s something where your really after taste and aroma and clarity isn’t an issue for you then definitely not a must. If it’s a Juicy IPA or a wheat beer then it’s probably not needed anyway. Hope this helps, my advice is get the first one out the way it will be amazing cause you made it. No one thinks their baby is ugly!

I only cold crash in the winter when the sheds cold. It seems to clear the beer quicker that's about it.

Cold crashing at -1 or -2 C the beer will clear in a couple of days, and I mean clear. No need for clearing agents which can strip colour and flavour from the beer.

Thanks, I’m happy to wait. I’m now more concerned about the ambient temperature after fermentation.

Is it going to ruin the brew if it’s too warm in the shed?

Thanks, I’m happy to wait. I’m now more concerned about the ambient temperature after fermentation.

It takes a lot longer to clear the warmer it is. If you cold crash and let the beer warm up what has settled out of the beer will come back into suspension.

I see, so I’m not going to ruin it as such?

I’ll get a fridge sorted, it’s not hot weather at the moment though. I just want to get on with the first brew, it’s like The more I read, the more reason to put it off!

Hi Polcho, I have also been cold conditioning in the shed, but only started brewing at Christmas, so it is only recently that the shed warms up when the sun hit it. I have been keeping the beers together in a closed plastic container on the floor at the back so as the shed heats up and cools the temperature inside the container stays a bit more consistent. I'm in Belfast though, so we dont get long hot spells which helps.

I recently adapted a fridge for fermentation and have an inkbird, so might try conditioning in that to keep it down around 10-12 degrees.

I havent tried but one or two of those polystyrene cool boxes might be another option to keep the beers at a steadier temp.

I see, so I’m not going to ruin it as such?

I’ll get a fridge sorted, it’s not hot weather at the moment though. I just want to get on with the first brew, it’s like The more I read, the more reason to put it off!
Don't put it off, brew something simple and build on your equipment as you go and can afford. Some things can seem quite daunting when you start but after 20 something years you will wonder what you were worried about.wink...

Not unless it's really hot. Might shorten the life expectancy a bit but personally I've never had that problem.
Also cold crashing isn't at all necesary. By the time your beer/lager has pressured up and conditioned a couple of weeks it'll be clear enough. Made a pilsner a while back, most I didn't even `lager', just kept it at my normal brew store temps. - about 13c at the moment - and a few bottles in the fridge at 3c or thereabouts for a month or so. Absolutely no difference between them.

Latest posts

Back