What happens if I don’t cold crash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, definitely just get stuck in.

It's good to educate yourself on the forum and YouTube but nothing compares to just doing it and learning that way.

A lot of the content on here are experienced brewers tweaking and perfecting. I too obsess over temp and oxidation, sanitisation etc. But let's face it, people have been brewing for centuries without beer fridges and starsan :)

Hi Polcho, i have been brewing for 2 years with no temp control with no problems other than one's i have created, as Foxy says above brew it and build on your gear, i have just bought 2 corny kegs and a pub style gas bottle still no fridge but that will be sorted in a couple of weeks, up to now i have never cold crashed as such but have made some great beers kits and ag i do both, so my advice would be to just brew it and enjoy doing it

Absolutely! A lot of kit is not essential. I have the bare bones; a boiler, bags for grain and hops, a thermometer and hydrometer, a couple of plastic buckets, and half a dozen demi-johns. No cooling, no fridge, no pumps. This year so far I have made 20 brews, ranging from saisons to stout to weissbier to bitter, and been delighted with all of them (bar a couple where I went overboard with the hops! :laugh8: ). This for all-grain; I haven't used a home-brew kit for thirty years.

The one piece of advice I would give is, keep a good record of everything you do. We all learn from our errors and imperfections. And trial and error is a very useful tool, and likely to be as good as any other method for estimating strike water volumes etc.

Latest posts

Back