What have you been cooking in your air fryer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And is there any other accessories I should be thinking about

We got some of these as we didn't already have any great for turning food and transferring it to the plate.

As Tess said a meat thermometer is a good buy we got the one below.

We rap the tray in the bottom with tin foil to save a lot of scrubbing when cooing things that drip a lot of fat when cooking.

1690659016634.png
1690659204156.png

The Ninja is on pressure cooker duty tonight. 1.5kg beef short rib seared and removed. Soffritto, garlic, red wine, toms (chopped and purée), beef stock, basil, bay leafs all sautéed. Ribs back in for a 45 minute pressure cook on high then shred.
My pasta dough is made and resting, the machine is coming out in a bit for the fun part. Then I’m assembling a lasagna which will rest overnight and get cooked in the wood fired oven tomorrow evening. Pictures will follow.

IMG_2251.jpeg

Just found this thread.

Just yesterday I talked myself out of getting an air fryer. The reviews seemed to be from people who don't like to cook (which I enjoy) and its another 'thing' in the kitchen solving a problem I don't have.

Having skimmed the beginning of this thread, though, it looks like it can be more than a convenience device. Going to read the rest and maybe reconsider.

Think of it as a small fan oven - so it's cheaper than heating up the main oven. So we now only use the big oven for stuff that doesn't fit in the air fryer - like pizza, or big Sunday roast when family visit.
But they do take up a fair slice of worktop.
We have a Ninja 9 in 1, so it can be a pressure cooker and a slow cooker as well as an air fryer. This has allowed us to free up some space in the kitchen

Tonight’s dinner is cheese and onion pasties and a bit of veg. These are amazeballs! 😍

View attachment 73826View attachment 73827View attachment 73828View attachment 73829

I like the style/format of these. I consider myself an experienced cook and for most things I just need a picture of the finished article and what its made of, I can work out the process myself. I get delicious magazine and mostly look at the pictures and ingredient lists. So having a picture of ingredients and another of the cooked item is all I need.

By the way, captain slow here only figured out what your username means today :doh:

I like the style/format of these. I consider myself an experienced cook and for most things I just need a picture of the finished article and what its made of, I can work out the process myself. I get delicious magazine and mostly look at the pictures and ingredient lists. So having a picture of ingredients and another of the cooked item is all I need.

By the way, captain slow here only figured out what your username means today :doh:

If that was my real name i'd have been having a word with my parents 😂 ;)

Just found this thread.

Just yesterday I talked myself out of getting an air fryer. The reviews seemed to be from people who don't like to cook (which I enjoy) and its another 'thing' in the kitchen solving a problem I don't have.

Having skimmed the beginning of this thread, though, it looks like it can be more than a convenience device. Going to read the rest and maybe reconsider.

The word fryer is misleading. It can do everything an oven can do.

In my opinion Ninja is the best quality brand but you'll obviously do your own research.

And how much electricity could you have had for the captial cost of the air fryer? 3 years 5...7 maybe.?

I've just done the maths (All approximate). Sorry everyone.

The tiastar (that I was looking at) costs £120. Leccy is between 30 and 50p per unit (kilowatt hour) so assume 40p. 120 quid would get you 300 units. Note I've resisted the shocking pun.

Assume you either run that fryer for 15 mins a day or my oven for an hour every day. The fryer is 1.7kw and the oven is 2.4. The tiastar would use 365 X .25 X 1.7 = 155 units. The oven would use 365 X 1 X 2.4 = 876 units. So you'd get your money back in 4 months.

Increasing fryer time and reducing the number of days you cooked would mean it might take you a year to break even.

But I don't think it's all about the cost/savings. I wouldn't like to do the maths for my brewing wink...

Last edited:
Same here, but a 6 in 1. It gets lots of use from the grown up kids, usually doing breaded chicken or potato products that would have been longer cooks in the oven.
I mainly use the air fry, slow and pressure cook functions. It’s great for one pot cooking which saves on gas too.

We have this one its a Tower Vizion it is the same as the DNA in the video below, we used to have a two drawer air fryer but decided to change it because this has a rotisserie and we eat a lot of chicken.
(we dont get the chip tube thingy in the UK)

We also haven't used the big oven since buying it.

£139 at ARGOS - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1409947?clickSR=slp:term:tower vizion:4:172:1

1693221840873.png
1693221822637.png
1693221851162.png

Last edited:
I made a roast in it for the first time yesterday (instapot crisp duo). Came out really well actually. Only thing I would change would be the timings and check with my probe more often... Was a little overcooked. Done the roasties in my other one (tower). Again they came out great.

Latest posts

Back