What juices for WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellz Bellz

Reaction score
So I have ordered my yeast etc and dusted off my DJs. I went to the supermarket today and had a look at the juices. I didn't know what to get. Some said 100% from concentrate (not many by the way). Others said 12% of this and 5% of that. What should I look for or are all carton fruit juices ok?

I saw a Welch's apple, grade and pear which looked interesting, but I looked at the back and it read:

Water, Grape juice from concentrate (12%)
Sugar, Pear juice from concentrate (5%)
Apple juice from concentrate (3%)
Malic acid, vitamin C, Flavouring.

Is that any good?

Thanks

you want 100% from concentrate grape juice and preferably the same of the other juice you use...

asda have a great set of juices, for 3 for £3 (litre bottles)

rule of thumb is equal quantities of grape and the other juice you use

I made a great tasting wow with asda rgj and asda tropical juice, pretty good it was too

I'll likely have put a thread in Brewdays about it !

I would avoid the welches stuff you mentioned, that's mostly water

I have a couple of files on the tropical one I made...

See files call Tropical...
https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B9214IswqPyMM2M1MzB4RUlabWM/edit

bottles

As Roddy says 100% juice is best and using equal amounts of grape juice to other juice works best, if you decided to use the less than 50% juice use two cartons to one of grape juice.

One other thing to add, that I've found is that when using pulpy juice (like trpoical/grapefruit etc..), the amount of **** that sinks to the bottom (and floats on the top) is massive, compared with using apple juice (in addition to grape)

This is the Grapefruit WOW I did, versus the Apple one, I lost loads of volume with the grapefruit !

WOW Cleared (Grapefruit).jpg

WOW pre-clearing (RGJ+Apple).jpg

Cheers. So as a rule stick to 100% juice from concentrate. Does it have to contain grape? I would like to do a white but cannot get wgj anywhere.

you really want equal parts 100% grape and 100% other juice

Waitrose are the only place Iknow that sells WGJ now

ie when I make up a 25l batch I use 6ltrs of the asda rgj and 6ltrs of another 100% juice (eg asda apple or tropical), made up to 25l with water, and other bits and bobs (sugar etc..) plenty recipes in the brewdays forum

Cheers. So as a rule stick to 100% juice from concentrate.

It makes no difference if it is from concentrate or not.

If you use 100% juice it saves money, if you can only find 50% or less juice double up.

If you cannot get white grape juice try red grape juice with a litre of apple juice, it makes a great tasting Rose type wine, it doesnt make red wine and doesn't taste like red wine as some members have thought in the past.

Thanks for the help. Does it need grape juice for taste reasons or is it so it can be called a wine. The original WOW doesn't contain grape.

Thanks for the help. Does it need grape juice for taste reasons or is it so it can be called a wine. The original WOW doesn't contain grape.

The quote below is from the first post in the wurzels orange wine thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

In the video below he uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice, this is fine if both juices are 100%, supermarket Pomegranate, cranberry and many other juices are less than 50% so you need to add two of these to one of grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

The only white grape I can find is with peach or other flavours and they are less than 50% so would two of those be ok to go with orange or apple juice?

No it'll be too thin, I have given up on WGJ as its so hit and miss finding it and now make everything with RGJ and another juice (not orange type)

You can put whatever juice you like with another, i prefer to use grape juice with another but that's just how i like it, some members make ribena and some apple wine, some don't bother with grape juice there are no rules, as long as you take a note of the sugar in the cartons then subtract it from 1100g you will know how much table sugar to add for 13% (ish).

My pineapple and apple is been going for 14 days now but seems to have a lot of bits floating about in it will they drop to bottom or should I filter it when I rack off?

I found this with anything orange based, just rack as normal, a little will get through as the surface reaches the sediment trap of the syphion but it'll be so little it'll make no odds.

Ok I have finally got it on after much deliberation. I have gone for:
Pineapple and apple, currently bubbling like mad.
Apple, going steady.
Apple and grapefruit, buzzing.
Apple and pomegranate, going steady. I have doubled the apple as the pomegranate was a bit week.

That's it for now. I will do an update at some point.

Just topped up my Apple with water. It is the only one not going mental. I imagine I will lose some volume on the others but as long as they are tasty.

The only white grape I can find is with peach or other flavours and they are less than 50% so would two of those be ok to go with orange or apple juice?

Jam. I would chuck two apple in with that wgj and peach. The way I figure is if you are going to top up with water you might as well top up with watery wgj and peach. I might be wrong though. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back