What kit beer are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really say but last evening [Saturday] it was a pint of my special Number 5 light beer [ yes I still do have some left ] a glass of home made Chardonnay and a glass of home made Zinfandel..

I'm drinking the last bottle of a Harvest Pilsner kit that I did a mini grain mash with and added a load of hops. Very bitter. Nice. :thumb:

Beerworks Mersey ipa, very nice and only 3 weeks in bottle so only getting better

Beerworks Mersey ipa, very nice and only 3 weeks in bottle so only getting better

I was looking at the Beer Works Kits as they look good and have some good reviews. How did you find it to make? The instructions on line look pretty comprehensive for a kit but I though the instructions for adding the hops looked a little odd.

Empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise the hops in the water for a further 2 minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind (don’t worry if a few hops remain in the jug).

If you add boiling water won't that take away all the good stuff? It would be like making a hop tea and throwing away the tea.

I liked the look of the Presidents Sierra American Pale Ale. I do like American ales.

I found them very easy to do, I used scissors to cut the hops, using a knife was very clumsy. I've done 2 of their kits now and been impressed with them

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, looks like one of those is definitely on the Christmas list then.

Probably won't have time to get it on before Christmas as I have a Wilko Stout due to bottle and hopefully be good enough to start drinking during the festive season. Although an empty FV does cause me problems and have me itching to get another one going.

Thanks for that, looks like one of those is definitely on the Christmas list then.
Probably won't have time to get it on before Christmas as I have a Wilko Stout due to bottle and hopefully be good enough to start drinking during the festive season. Although an empty FV does cause me problems and have me itching to get another one going.

Best to put another on when you clean your fv out

So true, and you know what, I think I probably will.

Still need to build up the stocks so that I have a bit of variety and can then leave stuff conditioning for longer without drinking it too young. Not sure what most people keep as a stock but I would like think 100 pints isn't too extreme as a minimum.

I currently only have about 20 pints of St Peters IPA ready, 40 pints of Wilko Cervesa 2 weeks into conditioning and 40 of Stout ready to bottle in about a week.

I certainly don't want to have drunk everything and be waiting for the next one and it's nice to have a variety of options to drink depending on your mood.

I have 5 empty demijohns though so could knock up some turbo cider pretty quickly.

So true, and you know what, I think I probably will.
Still need to build up the stocks so that I have a bit of variety and can then leave stuff conditioning for longer without drinking it too young. Not sure what most people keep as a stock but I would like think 100 pints isn't too extreme as a minimum.

I've got my ipa in bottles, I have a wilko wheat fermenting and St. Peter's ruby an cream stout to do, I think Santa is bringing a 9litre corny for Xmas too, need more bottles though, can't seem to get enough

Heading out for a spot of work in half an hour and have a couple bottles of John Bull IPA giving me the eye. Think they'll get a spanking during the football tonight.

Tonight is a Youngs American IPA, Young's American Amber Ale and Cooper's Sparkling Ale (brewed as recommended by Cooper's, with a can of LME and a bag of DME as well as the kit).

The Youngs beers have come out OK, but the dry hopping doesn't seem to have worked (and hasn't in any beer I've brewed so far). I've read people raving about the grapefruit flavours they've had from the IPA but all I've got is bitterness. I put the hops in sanitised teabags first with plenty of circulation room, and they come out sludgey with no dry bits but still no joy. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

The Cooper's Sparkling is a revelation though - the first kit brew I've done that has truely been of commercial quality. I'd recommend that one to all of you. It's quite pricey if you do it as recommended but well worth it.

Coopers do two different brew enhancers.
Obviously 1 (BE1) and 2.
1 for lighter beers, 2 for heavier brews.

Best mate turned up for the footie. We're gonna sample one of each of mine that's ready to drink.
Kicking off now with a Barley Wine.

Latest posts

Back