what size equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve963

Reaction score
Hi im new here and want to try all grain, done a few kits about 10 or so, but a bit fed up with the taste, especially the 1 can 1 bag of sugar ones

as all grain takes 6 hours I want to brew 120 pints, what size HLT, boiler and mashtun would i need

would 100 60 100 be ok?

Thanks

That 's a brew length of 70 litres

Taking into account a 5% beer that would require about 14Kg of grain and about 35 Litres of Liquor in the Mash.

That should be OK as long as you intend to flysparge, not Batch Sparge

In order to obtain 70 Litres once the boil has completed I imagine you would need about 85 Litres in the boiler at the start of the boil.

That will give you approx 8cm from the top of the wort to the top of the boiler so you should be OK.

You can always top up the HLT if you need to, but I imagine you will have enough, although it will be tight.

Don't forget you also need room to ferment this as well. In the coming months the ambient temperature tends to be a bit too warm for Ale fermentation so you will need to be able to keep it cool, A temperature controlled fridge is ideal, but you won't fit 70 Litres in just one. I know this as I have just upgraded to a 70L 50L 70L with the intention of doing 50 Litre Brews, but I only have one fridge at present so have a fermenter in my office, which is OK at present but won't be when it starts getting warmer.

Even though it takes 6 hours, it doesn't mean you have to sit and watch it for 6 hours.

The mash takes an hour, while it is on you don't have to do anything.

The boile takes an hour, once it is on you don't have to do anything aprt from add a few hops.

The cooling takes an hour, if you use an Immersion Chiller you can just leave it to it.

excellent many thanks!, i have a cellar which is usually about 19 in summer, so hopefully an ok temp to ferment at, probably cooler if i put them on the cold floor

Yes, 19C will be ideal for fermenting Ale, lager would need to be cooler should you wish to do that, but the answer there is to make that in the winter and put it into bottles / cornies ready for the summer.

steve963 said:
Hi im new here and want to try all grain, done a few kits about 10 or so, but a bit fed up with the taste, especially the 1 can 1 bag of sugar ones

as all grain takes 6 hours I want to brew 120 pints, what size HLT, boiler and mashtun would i need

would 100 60 100 be ok?

Thanks
I'd go with 70 - 50 - 100

steve963 said:
70 - 50 - 100

what and fill the HLT twice?
If I brew 120 pints...............
Sparge, 53L - Mash 35L with 15kg grist, 100L copper is more than ample for the boil.

BB

I'd go for 100 hlt and boiler, cause I have **** elements and like the idea of being able to boil in the hlt when i need to....its only happened a couple of times but nice to know you have the space when ***** hits the fan

Runwell-Steve said:
In the coming months the ambient temperature tends to be a bit too warm for Ale fermentation.
Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking!
While I heat the ferment during the winter, I don't bother trying to cool during the "summer".
The fermentation time is a little shorter, but the beer tastes just as good.
Runwell-Steve said:
Even though it takes 6 hours, it doesn't mean you have to sit and watch it for 6 hours..
The mash takes an hour, while it is on you don't have to do anything..
Apart from prepping your sparging and boiling bits and bobs.
Runwell-Steve said:
The boile takes an hour, once it is on you don't have to do anything aprt from add a few hops.
This time, I spend cleaning my mash and HLT kit + prepping my cooling and FV stuff.
Runwell-Steve said:
The cooling takes an hour, if you use an Immersion Chiller you can just leave it to it.
If you use a CFC, cooling takes 11 minutes!

To be fair, I set up and grind my grain the day before.
I also put my HLT on a time switch, giving me extra time before starting my "brew day".

Latest posts

Back