What to use to clean FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello!

A Google search turns up lots of mentions of (a) 'green scrubbies' and (b) not to use anything abrasive.

Can anybody confirm what these are? What should be used? Is it these?

http://www.wilko.com/scourers-cloths+gl ... MST=sponge

If so, I assume you use only the soft sponge side rather than the scourer side. Don't want to damage a FV!

Thanks.

Good soak to get any krausen rings then soft side of a sponge. Warm water and oxi works.

I leave them in caustic solution at work, not really practical in a home environment.

Mine just about fit in the dishwasher and the steam cycle does a good job (When SWMBO isnt in).

D :thumb:

Can I use PBW and/or StarSan instead?

And are the linked to sponges the sort that are acceptable? Also I've seen 'barrel brushes' but are these okay for plastic FV? Or will they scratch it up?

Cheers.

save the pbw for beerstone and hard to access jobs its Good but also very expensive, cheap unperfumed laundry oxi is very effective, itl strip the T stains off a builders mug in seconds :)

soft sponge side on a placky fv wall, u dont want to scratch the placky

I am now feeling like I am doing an inferior job of mine, as I just use hot water with ecover washing up liquid and a new cheapo sponge, then I sanitise it with starsan.
All of the gunge seems to come off just fine.

Maybe I have just been lucky so far?! :pray:

evanvine said:
I take the bull by the horns and use either bleach or pub line cleaner!

Ahhhhh pub line cleaner :doh:

I have multiple life times supply of the stuff and my oldest FVs are looking a litte cruddy... I feel a soaking coming.

Maysie said:
I am now feeling like I am doing an inferior job of mine, as I just use hot water with ecover washing up liquid and a new cheapo sponge, then I sanitise it with starsan.
All of the gunge seems to come off just fine.

Maybe I have just been lucky so far?! :pray:
Me too, except I use Fairy Liquid ;)

Duncs said:
Me too, except I use Fairy Liquid ;)
I am not on mains drainage, so have to be a bit careful about what goes down the plughole - particularly so as the run-off ends up beneath my veggie patch!

I am not sure what 'natural' ingredients they put into that ecover stuff though, as it is evil on your skin. Certainly not like 'the hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face' or whatever it was. More like as rough as tree bark!

evanvine said:
Maysie said:
I am not on mains drainage
The Sticks (Suffolk)
You live in a log cabin or something? :D
It is an old timber framed house from around 1730, so I really am living in 'the sticks'! There's nothing much around me but fields (which are all VERY muddy at the mo). No street lights, no shop, no pub, we don't even have a post box.

Latest posts

Back