What would you pair with Citra for an IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectBeer

Reaction score
Question is pretty self explanatory. I'm planning an IPA, bittering with Magnum and I've got 4 additional hops I can mix and match with Citra.

I don't have quite enough Citra to do a single hopped beer, so I wanted to hear what you guys prefer to pair with Citra? Ideally I want it to be a combination of 3 hops (excluding Magnum) for the hop schedule I'm following, but it's not necessary.

Personally I would use the Chinook for bittering. Then go mad with the rest as late hops and dry hops. All depends on how hoppy you want it. I used 100g of citra (plus 30g Simcoe and 25g Chinook during and at the end of the boil and dry hopped 40g of other US hops.

The main reason I wanted to bitter with Magnum is that I have it left over from a previous brew and I don't think it's good for much else apart from bittering as it's quite "clean".

Mainly was just looking to see what combos people like with Citra to see if any of those matched what I had.

I'm flirting with late, flame out and dry hop additions using Amarillo, Citra and Chinook/Cascade, but not sure if Citra will overpower them.

Oops, didn't read the bit about the Magnum hops:oops:

I don't think the Citra will overpower the other hops. In fact I have found Amarillo to be a more dominant hop.

I've just done a citra/amarillo combo as I'd read they work well together. It's still fermenting, so yet to find out what it's like.

Back