What's happened to Burton Bridge kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry.morgan71

Reaction score
I have been brewing the Burton Bridge Extra Strong Bitter as my "usual" brew, while alternating with something else to try, but nobody seems to have it in stock, and haven't for a while. It seems to be the case for all their kits. Anyone know whats happening?

The online shop, home page and shop links are all broken -

http://www.burtonbridgebrewery.co.uk/Bridge/Index.shtml
1702128951999.png

Yes, I have tried a number, I frequently use Woodforde's, both Nelson and Admiral. Wherry was o.k. but not as good. The 2 Festival kits I tried I wasn't impressed with the Landlords I threw away, the Razorback was drinkable but I didn't find it great, unlike most other people. The Muntons Connesours IPA/Bitter was quite nice. I have done the Burton Bridge Extra Strong Bitter 5 times now and its been good every time. I have a Bulldog Premium Bitter in the FV at the moment, and have a Coopers Amber Ale and a Masterpint Real Ale to follow.

You could try mailing Brew2bottle and asking if/when they're expecting them back in stock, they usually respond very quickly to suctomer queries
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/burton-bridge-40-pint-beer-kit
Looks like the brewery has been up for sale since 2016 and the last bit of news was from 2022 when they still hadn't found a buyer, perhaps they've gone under?

According to my contacts in the credit industry, they've submitted last year's accounts and there are no adverse warnings indicating they are a bad credit risk. If they had gone bust there would he warnings, unless of course they have gone bust and the warnings haven't trickled down. Companies House doesn't report them as in administration or liquidation.

Why not give them a ring? The website links are understandable, they're a small company who probably pay for website development and they don't have the money.

I used to drink in their pub, the Burton Bridge. The owners used to work for either Marstons or Bass if I remember correctly and they took redundancy. This was in the 80s.
A very nice very tradition bar at the time.

Nothing to do with the Brewery, the kits just didn't sell well enough to keep being manufactured unfortunately. They have been discontinued.
Tom Caxton or Connoisseur would be the best substitute

Better than nothing YF, but probably won't last long, and if Boris is right, they'll be no more. But at least the brewery is still going OK and their financial don't look too bad, just depends if there is enough demand for what they make. I did read that they're only a 15 bbl setup. That seems very small to be sustainable longterm unless they have a devout local following. After all, fuel costs, etc are not going down. But good luck to them

Last edited:
Better than nothing YF, but probably won't last long, and if Boris is right, they'll be no more. But at least the brewery is still going OK and their financial don't look too bad, just depends if there is enough demand for what they make. I did read that they're only a 15 bbl setup. That seems very small to be sustainable longterm unless they have a devout local following. After all, fuel costs, etc are not going down. But good luck to them
They did start off in the 80s. If I ever went back to Burton to visit I would definitely pop in, lovely beer.

Latest posts

Back