Whats the collective thoughts on these fermenter floating devices?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MashBag said:
It's 'Need' or 'want'
If you want one & enjoy them, it's for you.
Do you need one to make beer. Nope

@Chippy_TeaThe same argument could be made about most brewing equipment, a perfect example being an all in one do you need one to make beer no are there cheaper ways to make beer yes yet many members prefer to use one.

"could be". I probably wouldn't brew without one, and I certainly think that would be the case for some newer hands. I know a few personally 👍🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use one but many members do, why do you say they don't really work when members have proved they they do for what they bought them for.
I don't either, but members like @The Baron and others suggest they're not too reliable, so my question is why spend 30-40 quid on something that doesn't really work. Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me.
have the Ispindel which @ £30 is cheap enough to help you guide yourself through the fermentation process but they are not to be used for accurate readings but a guide.
You can calibrate them to make them more accurate or just take note of where they start and finish against hydrometer readings so that you can adjust the reading to a realistic reading.
Mine is approx 3 points out @ SG and approx similar @FG so I just use that to get a very near approximate of where it is.

Only downside is a 10g/l dry hop mucks up the readings until you cold crash.

I don't either, but members like @The Baron and others suggest they're not too reliable, so my question is why spend 30-40 quid on something that doesn't really work. Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me.
"Not too reliable" doesn't mean "doesn't work".

The temperature works perfectly. The OG works great. Using it as a general guide for showing how fermenting is going works great. Yes, it's not perfectly accurate for an FG , but that's doesn't mean "it's not working".

"Not too reliable" doesn't mean "doesn't work".

The temperature works perfectly. The OG works great. Using it as a general guide for showing how fermenting is going works great. Yes, it's not perfectly accurate for an FG , but that's doesn't mean "it's not working".
Good.Enjoy, Be happy, It's your dosh to spend as you will.
I know that when I spend the price of a sack of malt on a measuring instrument that I don't really need because I've got ones that work already, I expect to gain some benefit: better accuracy, convenience, whatever. Anyway the OP, @Frisp asked for opinions. You seem a little indignant @Agentgonzo ; have you cornered the market for these things?

"Not too reliable" doesn't mean "doesn't work". Indeed!!!
I've got a nice mk 4 Cortina round the back, one lady owner, only used it for driving to church so less than 50K on the clock. You interested?

The question that needs to be asked is: Why?
Why do we need things floating in our beer which don't really work anyway? Don't we, with a bit of experience, have a feeling for when a beer ought to be done and then check that with a hydrometer?
Doesnt an inkbird TC control the temperature within his limits or, if not using T C, doesn't a stick on strip thermometer give at least a good readings as a floater?
Why spend all the money?
Why? For convenience. I don't need to faff about to take a sample to measure gravity on a hydrometer as I can see perfectly well how the fermentation is progressing by looking at my phone. For the record - it works just fine for me.

I like RAPT Pill. I also got RAPT Temperature controller, and I have a fridge, but I suspect it leaks heat that it tries, but cannot reach the desired temperatures. However, I still like the devices - Pill tells me how much alcohol got fermented and I find it very convenient knowing when brewing finished
I cannot get any Pill reading if I put fermenter into a fridge and don't use Temperature Controller because then it works on bluetooth through metal walls

Good.Enjoy, Be happy, It's your dosh to spend as you will.
👍. Same to everyone. 😁

You seem a little indignant @Agentgonzo ; have you cornered the market for these things?
Nope. You asked a question. I merely answered it.

I've got a nice mk 4 Cortina round the back, one lady owner, only used it for driving to church so less than 50K on the clock. You interested?
No thanks. I have a technology filled car I enjoy driving very much thank you. I appreciate that others may not value the technology and would prefer to keep running a perfectly good MK4 cortina though. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Both cars get you where you wanna go. #metaphor 😁

I would be interested nowt wrong with the Cortina reliability I owned several.

Unfortunately I haven't got the 20 grand I would probably need to buy it now.

Last edited:
Why? For convenience. I don't need to faff about to take a sample to measure gravity on a hydrometer as I can see perfectly well how the fermentation is progressing by looking at my phone. For the record - it works just fine for me.

And that is fine. I am all for "no faff" brewing.

I don't to check the progress, I come back when it's done.

If there is a problem I use a hydrometer. Lob it in and spin it.
Different folks different strokes.

Nope. You asked a question. I merely answered it.
And it was a very good question, even if a rhetorical one that I was inviting the OP to consider: why spend all that money [on something that half the contributors here say doesn't always work as it should]?
No thanks. I have a technology filled car I enjoy driving very much thank you.
And I trust that that technology is 100% reliable since your life depends on it. And that it doesn't distract you from your driving.
Vorsprung Durch technik. As the Chinese innovators of toys for boys chant interminably at their board meetings.

Here's an example of my "bigger the better" remark:

An original format Tilt (my TiltPRO is on duty elsewhere) ... imagine the surprise when I looked this morning, and the Tilt was registering SG 1.024 (I only pitched the 1.050 beer last night). But I'm used to this. The yeast builds up on the Tilt and then slides off:

1702557067927.png

So, the devices are "unreliable", but you get used to the quirks. What I really wanted is that indication it had started without going downstairs, taking the top off the (opaque) fermenter, peering into it's depths (with a snotty nose, etc.). This sort of shannagans doesn't occur (as badly, if at-all) with a larger floaty thing.

The bigger ones (TiltPRO im my case) will record higher resolutions too, and the graphs look far less "chunky". But that's just being a tart.

Here's an example of my "bigger the better" remark:

An original format Tilt (my TiltPRO is on duty elsewhere) ... imagine the surprise when I looked this morning, and the Tilt was registering SG 1.024 (I only pitched the 1.050 beer last night). But I'm used to this. The yeast builds up on the Tilt and then slides off:

View attachment 93238

So, the devices are "unreliable", but you get used to the quirks. What I really wanted is that indication it had started without going downstairs, taking the top off the (opaque) fermenter, peering into it's depths (with a snotty nose, etc.). This sort of shannagans doesn't occur (as badly, if at-all) with a larger floaty thing.

The bigger ones (TiltPRO im my case) will record higher resolutions too, and the graphs look far less "chunky". But that's just being a tart.
Here's my latest graph from an iSpindel (30 minute sampling rate).
It's still chunky, but seems less so than your tilt above. You can easily see the bits where the yeast builds up and drops off the spindel
1702559698834.png

I have a BrewBrain and I really like it. However, I do avoid putting it in expensive (both in cost and time) brews. I've never had a problem with it, but I'm always concerned that where the cap screws on to the base, there could possibly be an area which could harbour bacteria and avoiding any potential attack vector with an expensive brew has to be worth it. For everything else; in it goes.

To be fair to it, it's really surprisingly accurate - especially when using a bottom fermenting yeast such as Mangrove Jacks M76.

Here's my latest graph from an iSpindel (30 minute sampling rate).
It's still chunky, but seems less so than your tilt above. You can easily see the bits where the yeast builds up and drops off the spindel ...
Aye, but my graph is only 12 or so hours in and I have "smoothing" turned right down. And some Ispindels are pretty big (like the TiltPRO).

Of course, the cheaper option for me was to wait a few more hours:

1702566637324.jpeg

Ive got a RAPT pill. Lost hours of my life getting it set up, lost even more when I changed my internet provider and had to go through it again. The app is not at all intuitive and is glitchy AF. I frequently get a blank white screen and have to turn my phone off and on again and once had to delete app and reinstall. When reinstalling have to go through connecting it again.

Otherwise fine.

Ive got a RAPT pill. Lost hours of my life getting it set up, lost even more when I changed my internet provider and had to go through it again. The app is not at all intuitive and is glitchy AF. I frequently get a blank white screen and have to turn my phone off and on again and once had to delete app and reinstall. When reinstalling have to go through connecting it again.

Otherwise fine.

Sounds fantastic and I am sure the beers better for it.😁

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back