WHC Lab Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
Just wondering does anyone have any experience with these yeast strains? I like the fact that they have 250 billion cells initially rather than the usual 100B. The Homebrew Company had them on offer so I got the Brexit one to try it out:
QgGIkrO.jpg

I've just used their Sanders yeast in a brew. I made a starter with it though, because it had been out of the fridge for a couple of days when I received it. It went mad after a couple of hours on the stir plate, so that's good. It smelt decidedly fruity in the starter. Will report more once the beer's fermented out.

Not sure why the brexit one has a picture of Delia Smith shooting laser beams out of her eyes though!

I'll be making a starter too, the packet is a few months old plus I want to overbuild and harvest some. I'm using this in a bitter tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I'll be making a starter too, the packet is a few months old plus I want to overbuild and harvest some. I'm using this in a bitter tomorrow, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Many litres will you over build. 2 litres, pitch 1.5 and save 0.5 litres for the next.

Many litres will you over build. 2 litres, pitch 1.5 and save 0.5 litres for the next.
I normally use the brew united yeast pitch calculator and overbuild by 100B cells. This time though I'm only a little short cos it's a low gravity bitter, so if I save 500ml of a 1.3L starter I'll have about 150B cells for the next brew acheers.

I normally use the brew united yeast pitch calculator and overbuild by 100B cells. This time though I'm only a little short cos it's a low gravity bitter, so if I save 500ml of a 1.3L starter I'll have about 150B cells for the next brew acheers.
When did you order I was on the Irish site. It's saying it's closed from the 29th plus I can't find the grain section.

When did you order I was on the Irish site. It's saying it's closed from the 29th plus I can't find the grain section.
I used the UK site and ordered last Tuesday, arrived this morning which was pretty good, I was expecting a couple of weeks.

i have used two of their kveik strains, sanders and bond. in fact i have a pack of bond in the fridge to be used. last year they were selling them in small bottles though. they seem like a remarkably small amount of yeast to have 250 billion. but its probably just less liquid amounts. the imperial yeast packs are about 4 times as big. all batches fermented great for me no starters on any of them and they were older and delivered in the summer. bond is wlp007, not sure about brexit though. i seem to remember seeing it somewhere but cant think of it.

i have used two of their kveik strains, sanders and bond. in fact i have a pack of bond in the fridge to be used. last year they were selling them in small bottles though. they seem like a remarkably small amount of yeast to have 250 billion. but its probably just less liquid amounts. the imperial yeast packs are about 4 times as big. all batches fermented great for me no starters on any of them and they were older and delivered in the summer. bond is wlp007, not sure about brexit though. i seem to remember seeing it somewhere but cant think of it.
Apparently it's similar to WLP066 London Fog, so after the bitter I'm going to use it in a Munich malt IPA, inspired by something I was recently sent 😁

Apparently it's similar to WLP066 London Fog, so after the bitter I'm going to use it in a Munich malt IPA, inspired by something I was recently sent 😁
yeah that would be fitting name wise. Im assuming sanders is the conan yeast from the alchemist.

glad it was inspriring, also made me make another 20l batch of munich ipa i have no need or room for.....

Wha?? It's kveik? Does that mean I should be blasting it with heat? Didn't mention that on the label....
no you have the conan strain. its an ale yeast so proceed as normal.

i meant in total i have used 4 of their yeasts 2 kveiks, bond and sanders.

Back