When and if to add sugar for priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivanhoe71

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of all grain tmmrw. Can you help please with a query re priming as I'm a newbie!

I plan to bottle 20pints and put in to a keg 20 eventuallly after the 2 weeks fermentation. Do I add sugar to the 40 pint fermenting mix from the boiler or do I wait and add a portion to the keg and some quantities to the bottles. If so can you advise how much please. Any help very welcome , thanks. John

You prime exactly like you would a kit I.E if you batch prime then put the priming sugar(dissolved in boiling water) into the bottling FV then add the beer. If you bottle prime then u add the sugar to the bottles. As for the amount its personal preference. What are you brewing?

I'm brewing a pale ale with marris otter, maize and EK hops.
I wouls love to replu
ryanshelton said:
You prime exactly like you would a kit I.E if you batch prime then put the priming sugaicate ESB next time as its my favourite(dissolved in boiling water) into the bottling FV then add the beer. If you bottle prime then u add the sugar to the bottles. As for the amount its personal preference. What are you brewing?

Unless you want flat beer or are kegging you will always add priming sugar after fermentation is complete. Most people syphon the beer into a bottling bucket and then add around 80g or sugar dissolved in billing water to the bottling bucket, gently mix it, and then bottle. You could do this and then put half of it from your bottling bucket to a keg.

I'd advise you go Google `john palmer how to brew` and read through the process detailed there. Its a great place to learn and hopefully will give you a better understanding

Many thanks for the info and I have now bought the book.
tommillski said:
Unless you want flat beer or are kegging you will always add priming sugar after fermentation is complete. Most people syphon the beer into a bottling bucket and then add around 80g or sugar dissolved in billing water to the bottling bucket, gently mix it, and then bottle. You could do this and then put half of it from your bottling bucket to a keg.

I'd advise you go Google `john palmer how to brew` and read through the process detailed there. Its a great place to learn and hopefully will give you a better understanding

Latest posts

Back