When does the fermenter bubble?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Put an AG 4.5L Wheat beer kit into the fv today. Added the dried yeast that came with it at 21C and it's spent around 8hrs at room temp. The water in the air trap hasn't moved a millimeter. I'm so impatient, how long before it starts with the bubbles?

Cheers

Put an AG 4.5L Wheat beer kit into the fv today. Added the dried yeast that came with it at 21C and it's spent around 8hrs at room temp. The water in the air trap hasn't moved a millimeter. I'm so impatient, how long before it starts with the bubbles?

Cheers

Tomorrow afternoon. Stay calm, Jam, stay calm. It will do its stuff soon enough.

May never. I've got one fv that never bubbles. On looking at the lid, it has the smallest of small slits in it.

It can take usually anywhere between 6 and 48 hours for a brew to get going.
And even when it is going the CO2 may be bypassing the airlock because the lid does not seal properly. You might look at it and think its sealed, but it ain't.

Apologies for the question within a question, but if it never bubbles (I do suspect an air leak elsewhere) yet in every other way behaves like a normally fermenting beer, is there any cause for concern? Bitterly regretting switching from my usual reliable FV to another on the latest batch - sitting at around 96 hours post-pitching and nil from the airlock, but a thick head of krausen forming on top as usual...

No cause for concern, CO2 is getting out which means nothing is getting in. However fiddling with it and taking the lid of and on every few hours to look inside would be a cause for concern.

Hi!
There's nothing more satisfying than the burp, burp, burp of an airlock bubbling, and nothing more disappointing than a brew that's fermenting well but CO2 is being released through an ill-fitting lid, so there's no bubbling.

Cheers folks - lid feels like it's well on, but I recall the odd drip of water out when sterilising prior to use - I suspect that's the culprit

At about 18hrs in the demijon it was really bubbling, the next day it was spewing yeast from the airlock. The krausen has dropped now and it's settled down so happy times. Next time I'll try a blow off tube until the krausen sinks.

Back