Where do you guys get your recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
As per title.........

Beersmith downloads?
This forum's recipe database?
Books?
Other sites?
Experimentation?

Spill the beans

K

Hi Kev,

I mainly get my recipes from either on here, or in books. The Wheeler book is pretty good. Although my 2 staple recipes are from on here, a newcastle brown ale clone and a Mark's Punk APA clone (cheers Mark!). I found these 2 to be my favourite and have been subtlley altering them to see how the changes affect flavour. This has been a real education as you get to understand the effects of changing different factors, yeast, hops etc.

I've also found that if you have a rough idea of what you want to make but no recipe, just ask and more than likely someone will suggest something for you to try!

Happy Brewing!

DirtyC

Dream them up mostly. If I haven't brewed a style before, I'll get a few ideas from seeing examples from around the web. Otherwise, I don't think you can do much better than BeerSmith2 for recipe formulation. This program makes it so easy to get your bitterness, color, and ABV into range.

Hopville.com is full of recipes, good, bad and ugly. Forums are good too, you can always ask author for clarification. Then books, but mostly as an inspiration. And some blogs with more detailed descriptions and proven recipes, like The Perfect Pint or Fuggled.

Homebrewing is easy in the days of internet. ;)

In the begining Books but mostly tweaked to suit my mood. Beersmith downloads. Now and then forum recipes that take my fancy, But most are now my own recipes gained through the knowledge learned on the way.

Hi Kev,

The recipe is

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 13 lbs. 3.6 oz 6000 grams 98%
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 0 lbs. 4.2 oz 120 grams 2%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Apollo Whole 19 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.4 oz 10 grams 6.3%
simcoe Whole 12.9 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 15 grams 9.4%
Apollo Whole 19 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.4 oz 10 grams 6.3%
simcoe Whole 12.9 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 15 grams 9.4%
apollo 70 deg steep for 3 Whole 19 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 0.4 oz 10 grams 6.3%
simcoe 70 deg steep for 3 Whole 12.9 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 0.9 oz 25 grams 15.6%
citra dry hop Whole 11.1 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 1.8 oz 50 grams 31.3%
simcoe dry hop Whole 12.9 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 0.9 oz 25 grams 15.6%

Final Volume: 25 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.013
Alcohol Content: 5.5% ABV
Total Liquor: 36.6 Litres
Mash Liquor: 15.3 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 50.7063534328589 EBU
Colour: 14 EBC

I have been cutting the pale malt back to 5kg and chucking a handful of sugar in during boil. Mark also recommended leaving out the dry hops, which is what I do. Still makes and excellent pint.

Enjoy,

DC

for me, I use Graham Wheeler's book, Dave Line's book (brewing beers like you buy), Marc Ollosson's book, the forum recipe list, and a few sent to me by individual forum members. I've also done the odd 'random' brew, just to use up whatever was getting a bit old and needed used before it would need chucked :thumb:

Latest posts

Back