what do you do with your brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PullinDeezPintz

Reaction score
Question. If your brewing 40 pints at a time. What do you do with your brew?

The reason I ask is that if you want to try different recipes regularly without pickling your liver.

How do you do it?

Screenshot_20230408_165416_Google.jpg

DRINK!DRINK!DRINK!

I tend to give about 10-15 pints away per batch (of ~40 pints) to friends and family. Then my wife helps me drink the rest occasionally.

I've started to brew smaller 18 or 15L batches as well. It means I can brew more often and have a larger variation of beers (in bottle) available at once, rather than having the garage full of crates of only 2 types of beer.

I tend to brew about one a month

I used to drink it, now I'm having a dry few months to loose some weight.
You can try to brew lower ABV beers if you worried about your liver.

I used to drink it, now I'm having a dry few months to loose some weight.
You can try to brew lower ABV beers if you worried about your liver.
I've found myself doing that recently too. Mashing slightly higher and not worrying about under attenuation. It also makes the mornings a bit nicer if the alcohol level is lower

I've found myself doing that recently too. Mashing slightly higher and not worrying about under attenuation. It also makes the mornings a bit nicer if the alcohol level is lower
I'm just simply aiming for 4 kg grainbill for a 23-21 literes batch.
Bjcp guidelines not for me I'm afraid. I mostly pick the grains by smell,if I'm drunk just randomly.

BJCP guidelines not for me too I generally brew 4% and below so my brews fall out of the BJCP.
I do use style as a starting point but will bastardise to suit my taste

I usually brew around 12L batches, rather than moderating abv. I switch batches up a bit by brewing something that suits drinking young out of keg, and beers that suit aging or bottling and enjoying over a longer period of time.

40 pint brews work for us, especially as the Mrs is quite happy with drinking pints.

I just vary the brewing interval based on stock levels. It's usually about once a month, but has been as little as 3 weeks, or more than 8 weeks - although that might be because it was too cold to brew outside

I drink around 6-7 pints a week on average (3 Friday, 3 Saturday, and maybe another 2 if my football team is on TV during the week).

I have a 3-keg/2-tap kegerator and aim to time my brew so it’s ready to keg around the time one the kegs is about to finish. Sometimes I end up having to brew in a hurry, and sometimes I’m desperate to get a brew on and have to invite my mates around to finish a keg, but it generally works pretty well.

Last edited:
I brew 18 or 20 L batches. 20 500 ml bottles and 20 330 ml ones. On my own I can get through them in 3 weeks but if the Mrs decides she wants beer instead of wine it goes much quicker. And if we have visiters of course my stocks get destroyed.
Of course it can be a pain if you brew something new and you find you're not keen on it

A friend has a beautiful 8 person 'pub' in his back garden where friends will drink once or twice a week, up until recently he used to buy beer in, in boxes, which is why I set up my brewery. I used to brew all grain beers, years ago, so I knew what could be achieved. I must admit that friends were quite sceptical when I said that beer could be brewed to the same or better standards than some of the bought-in brews we'd been drinking. Anyway, three brews in now and they're converted. I bag 10L of each brew for the 'pub' which he serves through his hand pumps, and I keg the rest to serve at home, either drinking it myself or having friends over.

I just keep buying more Cornies and fridges…
In reality I tend to farm the kegs out to friends: if they buy the keg itself and a party tap, then I will refill it for them in return for a donation to a (proper) charity of their choice. Makes me feel good about it :-)

Latest posts

Back