what do you do with your brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a regular group of 5/6 family and friends which helps with feedback one of which always says "why di you keep changing your recipe when there is nothing wrong with it" for me that's part of the attraction to the hobby. Also it is great currency on the allotment with all sorts of plants and produce coming back with the empty bottles 🤪

I too, have an allotment and the people next door to me want me to take some in for them.
I also have a regular group of 5/6 family and friends which helps with feedback one of which always says "why di you keep changing your recipe when there is nothing wrong with it" for me that's part of the attraction to the hobby. Also it is great currency on the allotment with all sorts of plants and produce coming back with the empty bottles 🤪

A friend has a beautiful 8 person 'pub' in his back garden where friends will drink once or twice a week, up until recently he used to buy beer in, in boxes, which is why I set up my brewery. I used to brew all grain beers, years ago, so I knew what could be achieved. I must admit that friends were quite sceptical when I said that beer could be brewed to the same or better standards than some of the bought-in brews we'd been drinking. Anyway, three brews in now and they're converted. I bag 10L of each brew for the 'pub' which he serves through his hand pumps, and I keg the rest to serve at home, either drinking it myself or having friends over.
Great job Martin - good for you!

Hi Mashbag I think he means he puts 10L in a re-usable wine/beer bag so that it can be pulled through a beer engine. I do similar so I can have a keg and cask version of the same beer

I bottle 90% of the time, so easy to hand samples out to people to try/give feedback. I only really keg when I have an excuse to set the taps up at home (birthdays, xmas, big rugby games etc).

I place lots of bottles in cardboard beer crates in the garage, and when things get a bit crowded invite people over for a BBQ/session to clear things out... 🙂

https://www.gtonlineshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=163
... Bag in a box.... I just don't bother with the box. You can attach a beer engine (hand pull pump) to these and suck the beer out, they collapse rather than letting oxygen in, so the beer has a reasonable lifespan.
I do the same Martin and use the strong foil bags the lifespan does seem longer than thin plastic ones that some sellers supply, they also have a separate fill point as well as the tap so you can get the air out easier too athumb..

I do the same Martin and use the strong foil bags the lifespan does seem longer than thin plastic ones that some sellers supply, they also have a separate fill point as well as the tap so you can get the air out easier too athumb..
For beer, the industry uses double skinned plastic bags - so I do too. The inner layer is permeable to CO2 produced by the beer (but impervious to liquid) the outer layer is completely impermeable. So, if the bag balloons a bit, you get CO2 collecting in the gap between inner and outer. If people are wanting to try it, filling the bags requires some technique and you're best getting a tool to press the tap fully home. These bags *can* be re-sterilised and refilled but they're not intended for that purpose and I don't risk it. You do end up binning the plastic so it's not really very green.

Useful video here:

I use one of these tools: Bag in Box Filling Tool | Support Frame for Bag-in-Boxes

The foil/plastic ones I use are very strong and re-usable for several times as long as you do not throw them around and with the secondary filling plug which is at the top you can vent if you do get a build up of co2
Edit you can put them in a cooler box (just drill a small hole for the pipe)and regulate the temp if you use one of those electric cooler boxes even use a Inkbird on them too

The foil/plastic ones I use are very strong and re-usable for several times as long as you do not throw them around and with the secondary filling plug which is at the top you can vent if you do get a build up of co2
Edit you can put them in a cooler box (just drill a small hole for the pipe)and regulate the temp if you use one of those electric cooler boxes even use a Inkbird on them too
Would be interested to see which ones you mean exactly.

I think you will get 5 uses out of them Martin, they are quite thick and strong. I have just started using them and had 4 refills no problem up to now

I think you will get 5 uses out of them Martin, they are quite thick and strong. I have just started using them and had 4 refills no problem up to now
I'll trial one or two - see how it goes. I like the idea of being able to vent build up of CO2 from the bag using the second opening. That could come in very handy.

Latest posts

Back