Which Ale Is Best??????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansybebes

Reaction score
Hi, i was just after a bit of advice please.........I dont have much interest in ale (sorry :oops: ), but i really want to get one going for my dad who loves real ale. I know he likes doombar and i am sure he has mentioned IPA (think thats it??). He isnt too fussy and tries MANY whenever we go anywhere!!

Please can someone recommend some ideas, ideally nothing toooooooo difficult as i wont know what i am looking for in taste when i 'try' it.

Any help would be great. Thank you :thumb: :cheers:

Hannah

It depends, really. There are loads of different ales, if you are used to drinking pilsners and lagers, you may want to try a Pale Ale or an India Pale Ale.

I really really like dark and black ales, and the Wherry kit is a good place to start. I recommend taking a look at Coopers Stout, dark ale and IPA as well.

Got to agree with the Wherry, a good quality kit with great results when left for a couple of months!

rich27500 said:
If he likes doombar he should like wherry. Pretty much the go to kit in the two can premium kit world.
Another one that gets excellent reviews (never read a bad comment about it) is St Peters Red Ruby Ale, my personal favourite.

If you can wait a few months then yes do the wherry, but if you're looking to knock something up quite quick then go for a lighter beer like an IPA as they tend to need less time maturing to become clear and drinkable, in my admittedly short experience!

I agree with everyone else here, Wherry is the best kit I've made, and I think its reduced in Wilkos at the minute for £17 as well so even better! :thumb:

I think I will do the wherry then as I can wait :)

Thanks for all of the advice. It's much appreciated :cheers:

If you are making a wherry, brew short to 20l, use spring water and upgrade the yeast to safale s04. All in all about £5 extra in costs but makes an ok beer into a nice beer.

dodsi said:
If you are making a wherry, brew short to 20l, use spring water and upgrade the yeast to safale s04. All in all about £5 extra in costs but makes an ok beer into a nice beer.

Indeed. Its always a good tip to replace the yeast included in the kit. S04 is brilliant

And try to tap the beer into glass bottles, because they are way better for aging. I tapped a wherry kit into both regular plastic PET bottles and glass bottles. I decided to let them age for a while. The beer in the plastic bottles are almost flat now, while the ones in glass has the perfect amount of fizz...

That's great. I am guessing that my LHBS will sell this yeast? I will be bottling into 500ml glass Amber bottles and had planned to use 1tsp of sugar in each.

Personally I wouldnt use 1 tsp per 500ml. I used the equivilant of half tsp in my wherry and I find it to fizzy for my liking.
Its all down to personal taste though :thumb:

Latest posts

Back