Which is the best grain for head retention (and %)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve heard the flavour contribution of rye be described as spicy. It’s not necessarily something I have picked out, but I do think it tastes drier/crisper in the finish, so nice in hoppy styles
I was bit ****** off i only used 120g in my centinial and cascade brew. Ok it was a 12l batch but ive missed out on the description you put.
Theres a rye beer in aldi that i was trying to replicate . but maybe im being a bit early with my judgement having only been two weeks warm bottling conditioning.
I was going with j palmers 'less is more' moto bit think i missed the fine line

What beers are you brewing?

You have to match your ingredients and process to the styles of beers you're making.

I've found many american style beers have a **** head. Belgian and German beers have much better retention and their processes and ingredients are very different.

Time also affects retention. I think it's to do with the beer soaking up the CO2 in the bottle. If I remember rightly colder storage will help this. I've certainly found that after a few weeks carbonation my beers have a head but it falls away whereas after 6 weeks or so it sticks around more.

I’ve heard the flavour contribution of rye be described as spicy. It’s not necessarily something I have picked out, but I do think it tastes drier/crisper in the finish, so nice in hoppy styles
Cheers, I've used malted rye before, but not unmalted. Planning to use it in a saison recipe that calls for flaked wheat.

I was bit ****** off i only used 120g in my centinial and cascade brew. Ok it was a 12l batch but ive missed out on the description you put.
Theres a rye beer in aldi that i was trying to replicate . but maybe im being a bit early with my judgement having only been two weeks warm bottling conditioning.
I was going with j palmers 'less is more' moto bit think i missed the fine line

I think if you’re really trying to get the character of an ingredient, taking it up to the max (and beyond) is a good idea.

I can't speak for torrified wheat because I haven't used it, but I am experiencing no issues with clarity with flaked barley at about 5% of the grist.

In fact the pale ale I sent in for the Jan forum comp had 5% flaked barley, and I did very well for appearance points (shame about taste points, but don't think that was to do with FB!). I'd link the scoring video if I could...

I use maybe 150/200g of torrified wheat in my lagers or IPA's which works nicely. One thing i have found out recently is force carbonating seems to give a much better head, retentioin and lacing than bottle conditioning. I have just done a 100% floor malted pilsner so will be able to see if there is any difference.

`

Malt manipulation: Higher colored malt contains less foam active proteins available for extraction into beer. This is because higher coloured malts require more intensive heating which causes the proteins to denature (unfold/break down). Thus this is a negative effect.

Interesting correction proposed by Drunkula. Roasted malts however seem to be very foam positive (Combe AL, Ang JK, Bamforth CW. 2013).!

Back