Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenland - absolute waste of time generic disaster film **** with nothing to separate it from any of the other dross in the genre. I usually watch films on 1.25x speed but bumped this up to 1.50x and it still felt like I could feel my eyelashes growing.

Fatman - Mel Gibson playing Father Chrismas with a contract out on him. It's not amazing but it's watchable and a lot better than what I thought it would be based on the Rotten Tomatoes score. In some parts it reminded me of The Guest. The Guest is a good thing.

The New Mutants - omg it's dull. You'd imagine The Breakfast Club would be wow if they all had super powers. No. Actually I think I sighed and churghhhhh-urchhhed out about 100 more litres of air than I breathed in watching it, so maybe something uncanny was happening.

Tenet - Time travel films are really my jam but after I while I thought fed up of this now. Yes, I worked out during that bit what was happening, and I don't actually care.

I just looked up all the Christopher Nolan films and I haven't seen Insomnia or D[r]unkirk. And I realised I don't really like any of them. They've got that exact same lack of charm that all the recent bond films have. In fact I think the way Bond films have gone since Danny Craig started is about the same way the new Star Wars films have gone. They both need stupiding up again but in the right way. I'd take charm over 'sophistication' any day.

Snatch.
Crank.
Salt.
Another one with Jolie..
Wizard of Oz.
Snatch is brilliant!
As is Oz.
The rest were ****..
Watched The Hallow last night...quite enjoyed it,it's about a family moving from London to an old house out in the middle of nowhere in southern Ireland. They get warned to leave by the locals and soon find out why..
The forest is alive with a predatory fungus controlled by evil faeries that live in the woods and they want this couples baby!

Last edited:
Just watched Starwars 1 to 3.

This is what you get when the writer, director and financier are all the same person.

@Drunkula, I sort of agree with you on Nolan. I quite like his films (Memento is probably my fave) but I don't think he's the genius writer/director we're led to believe. As for Tenet, the more I think about it the more I think I sort of hate it. If time travel is your bag then you must've seen Primer?

If time travel is your bag then you must've seen Primer?
Clearly. I was genuinely waiting for someone to ask. My friend Sam whose favourite film was Memento has real problems with time travel films because of inconsistencies, but you've got to work out what time travel model to use and you can usually reduce the eye-rolling by about 60rpm. It's amazing when you think you've come up with something and then find a book from 60 years ago that dug up, shagged and buried it all again. When I was a kid I always though people from the past were stupid, and Snug aside, it's amazing that some were like wow.

EDIT: I didn't actually know I didn't think much of Nolan's films until I IMDB'd it all yesterday and while watching them I was probably impressed by the cabaret of it all, but looking at them all listed and it was like well I liked Michael Caine in it....

Last edited:
It's amazing when you think you've come up with something and then find a book from 60 years ago that dug up, shagged and buried it all again. When I was a kid I always though people from the past were stupid, and Snug aside, it's amazing that some were like wow.
Maybe I've had too much to drink, but I have no idea what this means :laugh8:

Working our way through the Harry Potters again, as it’s Christmas lol. Harry Potter 4, cracking stuff, ramping up the darker aspects.

Die Hard (because it’s Christmas!)
Spy Game
The Mechanic (with Charles Bronson)
Good acting and story is better than cgi and a massive special effects budget.

Last night.
IMG_20201225_075531.jpg

The girls are watching "The Circle". The whole corporate americanness of it is getting on my tiiits so have given up on it while I get another beer. Which I'll enjoy while trying to focus blearily on my new Big Book of Clone Recipes. Not much of a telly watcher at the best of times. Not since Ena and Minnie left the screen in any case.

Moore's Law of Writing : If you write yourself into a corner then make sure you can write yourself out.

I would add 'with dignity' to the above.

Wonderwoman 1984 - no spoilers.

The first two scenes in the film are exceptional because they have an 80s magic that makes you go childlike and opens all those doors of opportunity and wonder again.. It's like you could be watching something that came out at the same time as Gremlins or E.T and your interal compass sets saiil to delight. It's probably about 20 minutes before that starts to fade and you wonder if they're going to keep up that wide-eyed facade. Another half an hour it melts into current day film making and you sort of feel sad but at least you got that brief glimpse of wonder.

It's so wow for so long, and then it commits the crimes. It doesn't even fully write itself into a corner but just decides to write itself out in those Deus-Ex "oh god no" ways that turned Doctor Who Christmas specials from hiding behind the settle because of fear to cringing in a corner because of awful plot resolution. Thanks Russell T Davies.

It's definitely better that the abysmal first film** and at its heart in very .nice., but after the spectacular grab of the opener delivering the rest of it feels like you've been lied to. So wish it wasn't.

** Seriously. It's ****. Go and check. NO. Go and check. Awful. No nono nooo, I don't care that you thought it wasn't that bad - go and CHECK. Seee, look. Rubbish.

Nolan's films ...hmmmm. I love the filming and the soundtracks of his films in a similar way that Michael Manns films often in my top films.
Havent seen Tenet yet but , my favourite Nolan films are; all the Batman films(prefer Batman Begins), Inception & Dunkirk. Insomnia i liked, haven't watched it for years and same for Memento.

Michael Mann- Heat, Collateral, the insider(Russell crowe is awesome). Miami Vice, sorry love the action and the soundtrack.
He also made an advert for Mercedes called Lucky Star, that looked like a trailer for a film with Benicio Del Toro..it looked amazing..then you find out it's just marketing for a Merc

Latest posts

Back