Who remembers and used.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pah! Only two winders! I still have my dad's three-winder Westminster Chimes clock...
If you look on the right you can see a little 'chime/silent' switch. Useful to avoid waking light sleepers overnight.
IMG_20211102_092144.jpg

What did you own or use back in the day that the youth of today wouldn't believe existed if you told them today.
Who remembers these public phones, if i remember right you put your 2p in pressed A dialled the number then when someone answered pressed B.
Ah I remember those - a toilet on most streets very handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got barred from a local snooker hall (pot black) for filling up the poker machines with bits of lead cut in the shape of 50p’s. Made a nice packet in one day but the owner got a hell of a shock cashing up that night lol
We use too head to Budgen but you had to do it at night on a weekend and always made sure you had got a load of 50ps so as not to raise suspicion.

The best for me was 0.303in a Lee Enfield in terms of accurate shooting
When I was at school I was cr@p at all sports. I was delighted to discover that by joining the Air Training Corps (the school had its own squadron) you could void having to go out and geet cold, wet and muddy doing cross country rus and rugby, and shoot rifles instead. Started on .22s, and if you were good enough then you might get to go and compete with .303s.

When I was at school I was cr@p at all sports. I was delighted to discover that by joining the Air Training Corps (the school had its own squadron) you could void having to go out and geet cold, wet and muddy doing cross country rus and rugby, and shoot rifles instead. Started on .22s, and if you were good enough then you might get to go and compete with .303s.
Yep that was like our school although it was geared towards the army section as the teachers were all ex army officers.
I remember a cold night on the ridgeway after we had been flown out in a plane and avoided the enemy (USAF) and asked if we wanted a gun (SLR) to attack the enemy camp . Our NCO said Said ‘sod that’ get your head down and stay out of it (we were in to Tangerine Dream at the time LoL)

How about betamax tv programme recorders / players with the up and down cassette loading drawer 😂

My dad bought us some red plastic cases that opened like plastic books to put our cassettes in lol

I remember being obsessed with the film 'The Worst Witch' , which I'd recorded off the TV. Used to watch it over and over again clapa

Also because my dad was a big baby and he spoiled us a bit he decided to get a table video games machine. We had it in our front room. It had no cash box on the bottom so you had to catch the 10p after it went in and then put it back in repeated times for another few goes 😂😅

How about betamax tv programme recorders / players with the up and down cassette loading drawer 😂

I never had Betamax and until today didn't know it had superior picture quality over the JVC recorder but the weight and one hour tapes killed it.

Last edited:
ownership of airguns
We weren't allowed to own air guns when I was a kid. A couple of neighbors had them so I am familiar.
I will own up to the fact that I was not responsible enough to be around one unsupervised. As an example, I was playing around at the bottom of a small hill (15m to 20m high?) and, upon which, stood a fellow neighborhood kid at the top. The device in my hand was in the shape of a revolver. Facing away, I spun as quickly as I could and shot toward the top of the hill at the boy up there. I hit him directly in his shirtless chest. He grabbed the spot, and for all the world, the scene looked right from the movies--head back, clutching his chest, a scream of pain and then falling down (not down the hill though).
The shot left a red, barely bloody welt. How lucky was I that I didn't hit him in the eye because the weapon was surely strong enough to blind? Haven't thought about that story in years.

I'm not sure if I was more dangerous, more irresponsible than other children but if there was something I wasn't supposed to do, I'd probably do it.

In any case, I would love to own a handgun or two, keep them offsite and use them for target shooting. I find guns fascinating.

I remember making a cricket bat out of a plank...and warrning my kid brother not too stand behind me..which he did. The result was a trip to hospital and 4 stitches right between the eyes!

Back