Why have Cornie Kegs gone to expensive?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
cant believe the price they are dictating on ebay, was only 12 months ago i bought mine and they were a quarter of that price :(

Cyclops said:
cant believe the price they are dictating on ebay, was only 12 months ago i bought mine and they were a quarter of that price :(
Just got (hopefully) 3 x 19ltr in good working condition (again hopefully!!) for £180 inc postage - £55 each plus £15 postage.
Lord knows how they'll fit through the letterbox!!! :whistle:

They seem to be becoming really rare, I think that's what's driving the price up. My lhbs is now struggling to get them at reasonable prices so has had to put his prices up!

Yeah. My lhbs is selling for £65 each so you could say £180 for 3 is ok. I got 4 for £110 delivered last year!

carl_saint said:
Yeah. My lhbs is selling for £65 each so you could say £180 for 3 is ok. I got 4 for £110 delivered last year!
£69.99 at Morley home brew I think.

Kinleycat said:
carl_saint said:
£69.99 at Morley home brew I think.
Wouldn't mind on for the new 23L shiny ones! Bit expensive at £120 though!

These kegs are a big financial step up for the newbie brewer such as myself that is used to spending £10 or less for a new bit of kit.
That said they seem to have a strong resale value, although that may be affected by the eventual abundance of the new 23 litre kegs and a more reasonable RRP.
Who knows, I just hope mine turn out ok, it's a big lump of money to me to lay out and them be duffers, knowing I've still got taps, gas and regulators etc to buy!!! :pray:

Kinleycat said:
These kegs are a big financial step up for the newbie brewer such as myself that is used to spending £10 or less for a new bit of kit.
That said they seem to have a strong resale value, although that may be affected by the eventual abundance of the new 23 litre kegs and a more reasonable RRP.
Who knows, I just hope mine turn out ok, it's a big lump of money to me to lay out and them be duffers, knowing I've still got taps, gas and regulators etc to buy!!! :pray:

just think though its all worth it in the end and cornys a really good once you get the hang of them :thumb:

I have to agree with Mick. They are a massive step up in terms of quality and being able to adjust the serving pressures and carbonatation rates. Worth every penny IMO, but your right about the initial cost of stepping up!

Corrosion on the lid.
2BFEFD7B-E47C-49A2-94B9-285C8335255C-4087-000005D7A21E68D8.jpg

Should I be conserned?
The other two look fine and in general they all look ok overall.
A1957EF4-5A5E-4715-BB07-EC46D5809D8A-4087-000005D88A51D8F4.jpg

I know, I though they seemed a bit pricey. I was going to invest in a couple for the new brewery but now Im thinking bag in a box and a handpup might be the way to do it...

DirtyC

It's the smaller sizes which seem to be commanding higher prices. An 11litre is still near enough £80 to £100 depending on where you get them. I'd pay £60 for the convenience of having half-sized ones for trial brews etc.

Stupid thing is there are thousands of these available...

From China, looked at importing myself, but min order is 1080! But a steal at $20 each. Once the next lot are imported they should start to drop n price again, I reckon it's been a while since the last lot arrived!

Id also love a cornie but i cant stump up the cash to purchase one. Fingers crossed they will go down in price soon

I got my last three cornies from Williams Brothers Brewery in Alloa...3 for £75. They have 3 pallets of them they used from when they started doing keg. Scottish craft brewers had a trip there and spied them...asked and got a price. They also own the glenbrew homebrew shop in glasgow...worth a phone call...

Latest posts

Back