Why I fecking Hate Microsoft

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS Office I believe can be run on Linux, I know photoshop can as it was the first thing I had to get running for Mrs Mc.
Currently we have a dual boot on the main desktop and Mrs Mc is now opting for linux......though I do hear the odd muffled cussing from her

Springer said:
They were my thoughts entirely 100 % correct HB, but I didn't bother cos its not our place to try and make linux rule the world, that's what Bill tried to do with Microsoft :lol:

And as you also said

Anyway chill and have a homebrew :drink:
Not tried mint, don't think I will cos Ubuntu does it all for me. I am far from a computer scientist, only time I had lots of screen messages were years ago when trying to install none specific software. Does'nt happen now especially with Ubuntu, cos it all seems to be there. :D

Sorry UP stole the thread have you got it sorted yet or still pulling hair out :lol:

S

It is all sorted and sent back packing with instructions not to darken my door with it again!!!

As for my own PC's next job is put a big HD in my PS3 and stick yellowdog on it, as It will save me buying a google TV internet tv.

Then am thinking of trying the Mac OS on one of my PC's :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha:
I believe it can be done.

UP

As long as you haven't updated your ps3 to the latest sp. They stopped people installing Linux on them, although I believe there is a hack for it :D

I did have a try at putting osx on one of my pc's but too much like hard work :lol: The spec has to be just so for it to work. Linux is so much easier :rofl:

hairybiker said:
jonewer said:
Linux is fine, but when something goes wrong, you just get a screen of arcane gibberish that needs a computer scientist to untangle....

When was the last time you tried a Linux distro? They have come a LONG way in the past few years.
As to a screen of arcane gibberish, I think you are thinking of the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, a M$ issue.

And as to OoO being 10 years behind office, depends on what you are doing with it. Most users use maybe 10% of office's functionality and will find OoO perfect, esp. now that M$ are wanting all you people who BOUGHT a cheap LEGAL copy of office through several options to cough up for a FULL license now. (seenhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/09/microsoft_ends_employee_purchase_program/)

And if you work for the NHS and had a cheap copy of XP/office then you have to buy a FULL copy again :lol:
Makes me glad that I only pay for s/w that I find useful rather than everything. My OS is free as is 99% of the s/w I run, I have registered some shareware stuff that I found worthwhile, but mostly I use free stuff. :oops: :cheers:

Anyway chill and have a homebrew :drink:

Too right. I've run Linux Mint form the past 3+ years with VERY LITTLE PROBLEMS compared to MS XP and Vista. It's so easy to install and runs "straight out of the box" with Youtibe etc. I've installed previous Linux's but NEVER had one as good as this. Agree with the Open Office vs MS Office but as 90%+ does not need this then I'll dual boot and have XP/Vista as my second choice. Cannot recommend Linux Mint enough, FIRST CLASS.

With my previous experiences of linux it was all such a hassle to load different drivers to get simple hardware working.
With my shed PC that uses a wifi dongle I thought I'd be back and to the house desktop coping drivers, but no it detected everything on installation, it even simply connects to the wifi printer, can't say that about the kids vista laptops :twisted:

Its not for beginners, but its great for those with limited PC know how...like me :cool:

Sean_Mc said:
With my previous experiences of linux it was all such a hassle to load different drivers to get simple hardware working.
With my shed PC that uses a wifi dongle I thought I'd be back and to the house desktop coping drivers, but no it detected everything on installation, it even simply connects to the wifi printer, can't say that about the kids vista laptops :twisted:

Its not for beginners, but its great for those with limited PC know how...like me :cool:

LINUX MINT RULES ....

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Cussword said:
Why didn't you stick to XP :whistle:
XP is bullet proof. ;)

we still use XP a lot at work and as you say it is bullet proof - problem is it will be out of support and that will only force upgrades etc. Having said that I run Win7 Pro on my study PC and also my HTPC in the lounge without issues.

I'm also a Linux user - it really has moved on over the last 10 years to being a totally acceptable OS now even for the non-nerds. I also like the open source nature of it. I have a debian distro on an old NSLU2 which chugs away being the remote gateway into my house network when I'm on the road no problems - including watching BBC I player when I'm abroad.

Back