Wilco bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycon67

Reaction score
Hi there this may be a silly question but I have just started making wine from a 6 bottle kit and some juice variant of WOW easy wine etc all in Demijohn s.

I have now just bought a 25 L fermentation bucket from Wilko s and there pilsner kit £14 ish for both,great price.

The question is there is no hole for a air lock in the lid of the bucket , have I got to drill a hole in the lid or when fitting the lid not push it down all the way or lift off one side?

When doing a Wilko larger/ pilsner kit can I seal the lid on the fermenter or lift one edge up ?

Please help as I need some teaching.

Thanks

Andy

I have a couple of these buckets and each one i have bought i have drilled a hole in just smaller then the airlock, so you get a nice snug fit.

Andy

I'm planning on doing a 2x Pilsner brew from Wilko myself. If you have a reliable way of making a small hole, I would suggest that as the best solution, plus airlock. Nothing wrong with leaving the lid not too tight for the 2nd to 4th days after pitching, as per your plan B. TBH not much happens with the kit yeast on day one, so I would protect it lid shut.

My method would be to chuck in the 2 cans at 20-21 L and then after the 4 days fermenting, add 500g sugar in 1-2L of water, cooled to ambient.

That is, assuming that I understand correctly that you have bought 2 Plsner kits, for the making of 1 brew.

I have a few of the wilko fv's and I don't have any holes in the lids. I just leave a few inches not pushed all the way down and put a damp cloth over it. No problems yet.

thank you all for your thoughts and comments one of the comments above is :

(That is, assuming that I understand correctly that you have bought 2 Plsner kits, for the making of 1 brew.)

why would you do this ??

Andy

I assume pilsner kit is a one tin kit (more expensive kits are two tin). So using two of them world find twice the fermentable so a stronger/less thin tasting brew.

I use the wilko fv and just relieve the the pressure morning and night by easing the lid up slightly. Just bought two wilko airlocks with bungs for 2 pound to do my wife some TC in a plastic demi-john so will use the other airlock on the fv.
Best way I found was to pencil around the thinnest part of the bung where you want it on the lid, then with a Stanley knife just cut around the line, no drilling=no mess..

Latest posts

Back