Wilco Cherry Wine Kit - Fermentation problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafod

Reaction score
Hi all
I started the process of making the Wilco Cherry wine as per the instructions up to the stage where, on 'Day 3' you are required to 'top up the demijohn using 4.5 litres of cooled, boiled water ...and fermentation will continue for about another 7 days'. Unfortunately, because I was delayed arriving home from a visit to our granchildren and ubable to carry out this task it is now Day 7 - and the initial vigorous fermentation has stopped completely. I did top the demijohn up (as above) today, but to no avail! Is there any way I can recover this situation, or sadly is this a case of a failed attempt, or has fermentation complete anyway and I can continue with adding flavouring / stabilizers as per the next stage in the kit instructions? I welcome any advice. Many thanks. Mike

Next time you make a kit that tells you to top up on day ? ignore it and leave it another couple of days or until the vigorous fermentation has died down, also leave a gap of at least 50 cm from the base of the neck or you will have trouble degassing, you can top up again after you have degassed it.

Hi Chippy-Tea
See what you mean about leaving 'airspace' at the top of the liquid. Fermentation so vigorous overnight it has actually semi blocked the airlock overnight as some of the fermenting liquid escaped through it! So, I removed a little more of the liquid - OK now. ;-)

That comment's a tonic as I settle down to watch Llanelli v Munster on the TV with the wife! Will let you know the final outcome on this kit - pending no further disasters of course! Noswaith dda (goodnight) Chippy.

Back