wild/hedgerow hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rufus1884

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post so a short intro:

After brewing hedgerow wines, nettle beers and the like for the last few years, I've recently started brewing beer. I've skipped kits and started with partial mash recipes with a view to going "all grain" in the not to distant future.

Today I remembered coming across some wild hops (and lots of them) on the local canal towpath whilst collecting elderflowers a couple of years back. I intend to head down there and collect some but given a complete lack of knowledge I wouldn't know when they are supposed to be harvested or even if its worth a trip at this time of year. Also I'm not sure what to look for in terms of potential disease and other issues there may be. Initially I googled hedgerow hops but found this a is term given to some types of cultivated hops.

I saw the other thread about wild hops but didn't want to hijack the thread so can anyone give me a few pointers? if/when I head down there I will take some photos and post them here.

cheers!

There will be lots of info if you google wild hops, but you are mostly looking for mould and mildew. Any light bright green colours should be ok and they should be dry, I wouldnt pick in the wet for the same reason dandelions shouldn't, they are crawling with insects taking shelter.

Latest posts

Back