Wilko CT not dissolving

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Last week I was sorting through a wardrobe where I found a DJ of peach and wheat wine which had a speck of something on the surface. I gave it a crushed CT just to be on the safe side and within 24 hours a once crystal clear wine was cloudy, I believe I fell victim to the Youngs cloudy campden problem.
Anyway I have around 7 DJ's that need racking as the past few months I have been moving house/changing jobs etc... So winemaking has taken a very back seat. I picked up some CT's from wilkinsons and racked 2 wines and crushed 1 in each gallon. Both gallons now have a noticeable amount of powder floating on the top and even after shaking and 48+ hours it doesn't look like its going away, is this normal with wilkos CT's and should I just crack on with the other wines that need racking?

Also I have never racked more than 1 demijohn at a time so if I wanted to do multiple demijohns would I need to resterilise the siphon before moving onto the next dj or just quickly rinse? I just want to know how to safely go about racking multiple demijohns save me doing one each night

Many thanks

HLA91

I don't know about the first bit, but when I rack my wines (I always rack several brews) I just give the siphon a good rinse out, the only way your wine would spoil is if there was a problem with the first wine you racked. Personally I don't think that is enough of a risk to sterilise between brews, but it's up to you.

iv had the same problem with wilko's CT it leaves white bits floating in the top inch for some reason.

It may be obvious, but just to check: are you a) crushing the tablets really well and b) adding them to the empty DJ and racking on to it?

I racked a a WOW with a Wilkos CT a week or so ago, following the above, and it's clear. I had previously added CTs to a couple of DJs filled with water, just to keep them fresh, and noticed white bits floating around. I'm not sure I'd done a) and b) with them.

I didn't rack onto the campdens I added them after so maybe just shaking the demijohn doesn't help them dissolve like having wine siphoned onto them. I assume its just the bulking product which is probably not dissolving, I have just checked now and it's not really floating anymore its now in suspension. As long as its done its work the bits will be caught by the filter when I filter them all.

I thought just rising should do it but I just wanted to check what others are doing.

I have just realised before I knew about the possible issue with Wilko's CT's leaving bits I added one each to two gallons of wine which had been filtered around 9 months ago. The airlocks had run dry and showed slight mould (in the airlock) so to be on the safe side I added 1 crushed ct to each but now no matter how often I shake the DJ the bits won't dissolve. All I can think of doing is filtering and bottling asap as I normally add a ct when I filter due to the splashing but maybe I will have to leave them out for that one. Annoying :cry:
3aqugama.jpg

Back