Wine and cider brewing from fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got hold of a juicer to do some wine and ciders from scratch. I hadn't actually realised how much fruit you need for single gallon brews.

Now this seems a bit cost prohibitive when compared against turbo Cider and WOW alternates.

So my question is; is the extra effort and cost worth the final product?

In my opinion if you have have access to fruit yes but to by fresh fruit no. I make a nice white from tinned value peaches (35p a tin) can't see how fresh peaches would improve on this one. If you have a market or greengrocers near by give them a bottle of your wine to try, and ask them to save you their damaged and past it's best fruit and offer to give them the odd bottle or negotiate a good price.

I did a quick cost estimate on a cider, which came in roughly twice the cost I was thinking, surely the end product can't be twice as good. Then I looked at the amount of grapes i would need for a gallon of wine...

Great idea with the grocers, I'll head to the local one which is conveniently close to the local brewing shop :-)

Back