Wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanandjudie

Reaction score
Having had trouble getting wine bottles in any quantity and as I like to bottle and label everything I came up with the idea of posting on Facebook that i would give away 1 bottle of homemade red/white/or Rose' for every 12 good clean wine bottles with caps. I have had a good response and now have an abundance. Is it sufficient to just rinse these bottles and their caps in a strong Milton solution or do they need to be soaked for a period of time.

Give them a good rinse, then leave a steriliser in the bottle for 15 mins, I use VWP myself. I soak the caps in a bowl of steriliser to make sure they are ok. Give them a good rinse after and you are good to go! I've not had a problem with doing mine like this yet (famous last words!).

Just be aware, you can only reuse the screw caps x amount of times before they need replacing.

Depends what state they're in.
Everybody has their own favourite cleaning regime...
I like to give everything a soapless half hour in the dishwasher, then fill with VWP, leave 15 minutes, see if what comes out is clear.
Bottles of (relatively) unknown provenance I'd be in there with the bottle brush first just in case.

oldbloke said:
Depends what state they're in.
Everybody has their own favourite cleaning regime...
I like to give everything a soapless half hour in the dishwasher, then fill with VWP, leave 15 minutes, see if what comes out is clear.
Bottles of (relatively) unknown provenance I'd be in there with the bottle brush first just in case.

OK Thanks.....My dishwasher is usually out shopping but I get the gist.

Back