Winter stout swap style poll

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which style would you like to brew (you can choose more than one)?

• Irish Stout 15(B)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Irish Extra Stout 15(C)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Sweet Stout 16(A)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Oatmeal Stout (16B)

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Tropical Stout (16C)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Foreign Extra Stout (16D)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • American Stout (20B)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
This is the 2021 BJCP style guide for a Tropical Stout. Note the comment that a tropical stout described it’s origins rather than it having tropical fruit flavours.

View attachment 74236
Yep, read those and came to the conclusion that the dark fruit flavours should come from yeast esters and dark crystal malt. So nothing like a sweet stout!

I read that too. I’ve always treated lager brews with the upmost respect. I do have some California Lager and w34-70 on hand. Both are supposed to be very happy fermenting at ale temps but I’ve never tried it myself. I also have some WLP-004 that is overdue a run out and I know what it’s like when you let it run warm.
Still got a couple of weeks to keep digging.
It’s a very conflicting description in places. Use burnt sugar but have no burnt sugar aroma or taste etc.

Yep, read those and came to the conclusion that the dark fruit flavours should come from yeast esters and dark crystal malt. So nothing like a sweet stout!
That’s right, hops are pretty much for bittering only and bitterness is quite low!

So a sweet stout because of a high FG, low bitterness, and maybe a little diacetyl. Sounds lovely!

Oatmeal did get the highest percentage. If it's oatmeal, I will certainly take part. I have about 50 recipes but only one recipe for tropical. Albeit a gold medal winning recipe.

Having tasted a tropical stout recently, that was disgusting, I can't say I am super keen to make 19L of the stuff.

Same here, I’ll brew 10L of anything for the craic. Reading around, I think there’s some mileage in tropical as a style. It’ll be a good experience to have a few to contrast.

Back