Winter stout swap style poll

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which style would you like to brew (you can choose more than one)?

• Irish Stout 15(B)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Irish Extra Stout 15(C)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Sweet Stout 16(A)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Oatmeal Stout (16B)

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Tropical Stout (16C)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Foreign Extra Stout (16D)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • American Stout (20B)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Oatmeal stout.

I just checked the BJCP guidelines for tropical stout and it listed Dragon Stout as a commercial example. That is one seriously awful beer. Tried one a few months ago and poured it down the drain.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes it "tropical". I had a look at Greg Hughes recipe. It seems like a fairly bog standard stout to me.

Going to have try and track down an example

I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes it "tropical". I had a look at Greg Hughes recipe. It seems like a fairly bog standard stout to me.

Going to have try and track down an example
Whatever you do, don't go to Tesco and buy a bottle of Jamaican Dragon Stout.

My take is less hop character and more dark fruit flavours. Not sure what I’m going to with the hops, but I’m thinking Special B and Irish Ale yeast fermented warm for the latter. Need to read a lot more but.

My take is less hop character and more dark fruit flavours. Not sure what I’m going to with the hops, but I’m thinking Special B and Irish Ale yeast fermented warm for the latter. Need to read a lot more but.
My reading is traditionally brewed with a lager yeast at higher temps.

This is the 2021 BJCP style guide for a Tropical Stout. Note the comment that a tropical stout described it’s origins rather than it having tropical fruit flavours.

A6BD01F2-5429-460A-82DC-479F87BB710F.jpeg

My reading is traditionally brewed with a lager yeast at higher temps.
I read that too. I’ve always treated lager brews with the upmost respect. I do have some California Lager and w34-70 on hand. Both are supposed to be very happy fermenting at ale temps but I’ve never tried it myself. I also have some WLP-004 that is overdue a run out and I know what it’s like when you let it run warm.
Still got a couple of weeks to keep digging.

Latest posts

Back