Wirlfloc Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBilly

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a couple questions regarding wirlfloc tablets.

Does this act as a clearing agent/finnings? And secondly after reading a couple threads on amounts it is suggested that 1tablet is too much for a 23l brew, is this correct?

In a recent brew I only added 1/2 a tablet. Would this make a massive difference to the quality/clarity of my beer (American Pale Ale)

Cheers
BrewBilly

phettebs said:
I use a whole one for 19l and have not had any problems. It does help to settle things out.

That's good to hear, I only used half this time but could use a whole one in the future.

The renowned expert Aleman suggests that 1 tablet is too much for a 23 liter brew and that half is sufficient.
I've found that by using 1 full tablet the break material forms into large cauliflower pieces, but have not noticed anything else un-towards.

Half a tablet makes the pack last twice as long... :grin:

jamesb said:
One whirlfloc tablet is fine.

It's the protofloc tablets you want to be careful with.

Please explain for them as dont know why inc me :wha:

yes I'd like to know what if any difference between them
I've always been under the impression it was just a trade name difference...please enlighten me.

BrewBilly said:
I would also like to know the differences between whirlfloc v protofloc??

I 'think' whirlfoc is the cut version of Protofloc IIRC.

I use 1 Protofloc per brewers barrel (36 gallons) so I'm pretty sure I've remembered correctly.

Excuse my rambling but I'm filtering 2bbls of lager and have to keep testing it..... :cheers:

Back