Woke.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woke:

chiefly US slang
: aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

I take it as that is all you have picked up on you have nothing to say about the other points he made -

Britain only produces 2% of carbon emissions if we slipped into the sea we would make no difference whatsoever to climate change.

Climate change is going to be decided in Asia and Latin America by poor people who couldn't give a **** about saving the planet you know why because they are poor.

120 million Chinese do not have enough food not just no desert malnutrition <snip> the main thing Xi Jinping has to do to stay in power is to deliver the one thing the people of china want prosperity and economic growth, where do you think climate change ranks on Xi Jinpings list of priorities.

A third of all children who live in extreme poverty in the world live in India meaning they are starving and dying of preventable disease <snip> if you gave me the choice between my son starving or dying of a presentable disease or i could hit a button meaning he would live , go to school <snip> and all i have to do is press the button every day of my sons life releasing a giant plume of CO2 into the atmosphere, there is not a parent in the world who wouldn't smash that button.

You are not going to get these people to stay poor you are not going to even get them not to want to be richer and so i put it to you there is only one thing we can do in this country to stop climate change and that is to make scientific and technological breakthroughs that will create clean energy that is also cheap and the only thing that wokeness has to offer in exchange is to brainwash bright young minds like you to believe that you are victims to believe you have no agency, to believe that what you must do to improve the world is complain, protest and throw soup on paintings <snip>

I take it as that is all you have picked up on you have nothing to say about the other points he made -

Britain only produces 2% of carbon emissions if we slipped into the sea we would make no difference whatsoever to climate change.

Climate change is going to be decided in Asia and Latin America by poor people who couldn't give a **** about saving the planet you know why because they are poor.

120 million Chinese do not have enough food not just no desert malnutrition <snip> the main thing Xi Jinping has to do to stay in power is to deliver the one thing the people of china want prosperity and economic growth, where do you think climate change ranks on Xi Jinpings list of priorities.

A third of all children who live in extreme poverty in the world live in India meaning they are starving and dying of preventable disease <snip> if you gave me the choice between my son starving or dying of a presentable disease or i could hit a button meaning he would live , go to school <snip> and all i have to do is press the button every day of my sons life releasing a giant plume of CO2 into the atmosphere, there is not a parent in the world who wouldn't smash that button.

You are not going to get these people to stay poor you are not going to even get them not to want to be richer and so i put it to you there is only one thing we can do in this country to stop climate change and that is to make scientific and technological breakthroughs that will create clean energy that is also cheap and the only thing that wokeness has to offer in exchange is to brainwash bright young minds like you to believe that you are victims to believe you have no agency, to believe that what you must do to improve the world is complain, protest and throw soup on paintings <snip>
ALL of what he is saying there is just his opinion. But whats his point exactly?

(Other than the 2%, which is a hotly disputed figure.)

So follow it up for me, since my reading of what is point is is so obviously wrong..... Whats he telling these young people to do if they care about the environment? What is he achieving with the fantasy strawman arguments and either or scenarios hes is dreaming up?

Whats he telling these young people to do if they care about the environment? What is he achieving with the fantasy strawman arguments and either or scenarios hes is dreaming up?

For me the message is in the quotes i have posted maybe its one of those things where those that cannot see it never will.

For me the message is in the quotes i have posted maybe its one of those things where those that cannot see it never will.
Yeah, theres a load of conjecture in there.... But what is his point for his audience who he accuses of pejorative "wokeness". Becasue like I already said, it appears to be "dont bother your **** doing anything, and hopefully we can science our way out of it"

Dont make a noise, dont ask questions, just leave it to the clever people.

I cant see how thats not what you're seeing to be honest.

Would you be ok with raising your kids with the principle that since their individual actions wont solve a problem, they should make no attempt to be a part of the solution?

He also takes an accusatory tone regarding what any of these "woke" people have been/are preapred to give up. I personally know loads of people who are concerned about climate and have made lifestyle changes to reflect that. What sort of person tells them to bin their beliefs becasue its all in vain?

I'll tell you I think does that.... Someone with an agenda. An agenda already flagged (as I said before) by his bizarre "wokeness" ranting.

This man is just peddling opinion under the rather tired guise of "look at me, i'm a really clever and grown up and reasonable man, let me talk at you" He has come with no facts, evidence based positions or anything like that. Just opinons, men of straw and a healthy dose on condescension.

Dont make a noise, dont ask questions, just leave it to the clever people.

I cant see how thats not what you're seeing to be honest.

This is the problem all you took from the whole video and the quotes i posted is this, that's why i posted -

maybe its one of those things where those that cannot see it never will.

Put it this way, throwing a tin of soup over a painting is going to solve sod all nor is glueing yourself to a road, all that does is wind the people who do want to do something about it
So people are going to refuse to do something because some woke lefty upset them?

Like it or not, protest is legitimate and many times in history has taken a less peaceful path to achieve its aims.

Seems like a load of folks on this board would have been telling the suffragettes to wind their necks in and ask nicely for the vote.

This is the problem you take this message from what he says in the video i didn't, that's why i posted -
You posted that because someone didn't agree with YOUR viewpoint . You inference there is that theres some objective point that i'm missing. There isn't. The man makes no actual points to contend.

Do you honestly never look at these things and wonder what the agenda is? Like why is the title "DESTROYS WOKE STUDENTS!!!!". They didnt even have right of reply in that video, and yet the message being spread is "DESTROYED" 😂

Look at it this way, it will be someone far cleverer than me who solves this and i would say that go'es for 90% of the population of the entire world, fire away good people with your idea's, and remember total greenness is unobtainable

Like it or not, protest is legitimate and many times in history has taken a less peaceful path to achieve its aims.

Protest is indeed a legitimate means of bringing attention to what you are protesting about unfortunately when you incontinence the general public by blocking bridges etc all it does is cause resentment and your message is lost because the press concentrate on the problems you have caused not your message.

Protest is indeed a legitimate means of bringing attention to what you are protesting about unfortunately when you incontinence the general public by blocking bridges etc all it does is cause resentment and your message is lost because the press concentrate on the problems you have caused not your message.
Except their message isn't lost. It remains front and centre. This "but what about the hard working British public" is GBeebies style, thinly veiled condemnation of the right to protest, and of people who you disagree with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you honestly never look at these things and wonder what the agenda is?

As i have already posted is a debate, i have watched it again and he says -

Something brilliant happened at the oxford university the other day, the oxford union have these debates every now and then and time it was about whether the woke culture has gone too far or not.

Last edited:
Except their message isn't lost. It remains front and centre. This "but what about the hard working British public" is GBeebies style, thinly veiled condemnation of the right to protest, and of people who you disagree with.

Well you have your view and i have mine and as this is taking the thread off topic i will stop there.

Back on topic -

A few comments on the YouTube video -

Seems his point of view hit a note with the viewers.

wwwwture.JPG

wwwwture.JPG

Last edited:
Why do you belittle the comments i thought you were all for freedom of speech etc.
Because you are plumbing the depths of the internets lunatic wing, in lieu of spelling out to me what this lads point, that so many are in agreement with, actually is.

You seem to be agreeing with him that the third world causes and will continue to cause loads of pollution.... But this isn't news to anyone. So we are going to have to drill down further.

You may not like or agree with the comments but why call them lunatics you know nothing about them.
Thats like saying I can't call Twitter or Facebook an absolute binfire thats bad for the health of all involved.

Tbh, I thought these were long established principles.

Back