Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had the fire done yet Chippy? I've been and looked at log burners etc got a man coming round to check out if we can have one.
It's a minefield looking at stoves though...too many to choose from!

a whole thread on wood cutting and not one monty python reference? Shameful!

Well I would ban the smelly things outright - next door have self cut wood but do they dry it properly do they heck! In an urban environment its anti social.

I had listened on a podcast this week saying that there study the government used to introduce laws around wood burning was flawed and that wood burning stoves are not contributing as much particulate matter as first suspected.

I have 2 wood sheds that I use to store unseasoned wood for at least 12 months or more for hardwoods like beech. I have sped up the process considerably by piling up in one of my greenhouses during the summer. The wood drys out in a matter of months as long as it is well ventilated in the greenhouse. I bought a moisture meter and check it before going into store and then before use.

Wouldn't be without it, lovely to sit in front of on cold days like this. The dog loves it too 🤣🤣

IMG_20220216_145059.jpg

Well I would ban the smelly things outright - next door have self cut wood but do they dry it properly do they heck! In an urban environment its anti social.

So you would ban them and deny sensible people who use them properly the right to use/own one because some dick head doesn't follow the rules, why don't you report them.

We are already using smokeless coal on our open fire, once you get it going (which can be a bit of PITA) its brilliant stuff giving off more heat than coal and as we don't have the room to store logs it will be the main fuel.

Last edited:
I went to seal around the old stove that was in the house when we bought it 27 years ago. It was a villager stove, really chucked the heat out even though it was old and knackered when we moved in. Unfortunately I discovered that the back of it had completely rotted out. Just as well we have a powerful draw on the chimney! So we needed a new stove and quick...
We looked at used ones but all we found were total wrecks or very expensive. So eventually went for a cheapo far eastern one (Tiger 3 from Stoves r us)
To get it to fit I had to cut off the bottom 3 inches of leg, but then it fitted well.
It's absolutely awesome. I can't believe how much heat it chucks out for the tiny amount of wood it uses. Cost mid 400s but worth every penny.

I'm currently reading through the Stovax brochure and they state...
Unlike fossil fuels,wood releases approximately the same amount of carbon as that absorted during its growth,making it a virtually carbon neutral heat source.
Wonder what tyres and shoes are?

I'm currently reading through the Stovax brochure and they state...
Unlike fossil fuels,wood releases approximately the same amount of carbon as that absorted during its growth,making it a virtually carbon neutral heat source.
Wonder what tyres and shoes are?
You wouldn't like to burn my sons shoes :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

wood releases approximately the same amount of carbon as that absorted during its growth,making it a virtually carbon neutral heat source.

Its not that straight forward, you cannot now burn *wet wood so the method of drying it has a negative impact on the environment meaning its not really carbon neutral and as wood doesn't last as long as smokeless coal and gives off less heat i am going to try smokeless.

*The main problems associated with burning wet wood are:
  • The fire can produce more smoke.
  • More creosote can be released by the fire due to incomplete combustion of the wood.
  • Creosote can build up within the chimney or flue leading to a reduced draft or the potential for chimney fires.
  • A chimney or flue will require more frequent cleaning due to increased creosote production.
  • Less heat produced by the fire.
  • The fire won’t be able to produce a clean burn and more pollutants can be released into the atmosphere, adding to local air pollution.

This is the stove we have installed, with a grate so it burns coal. Had to fit fire bricks to reduce the burn area as it was just too hot, like a fookin sauna. But very happy snuggle bugs now. Cats and dog just sit staring at it till they get too hot.
https://deanforge.co.uk/dartmoor-baker-8-eco-woodworking-multi-fuel-cook-stove/
We cook with it most days. Kettles sit on the top for hot water We will be fitting a drying rack next from the old copper pipes when we rebuilt the place.

We are obsessive about collecting driftwood off our beaches. We also do work with our crofters stripping fences to get the old stobbs (posts) It's a great feeling when you cook a meal from wood you have salvaged. There's nothing worse than finding ashes after a fookin tourist has had a cosy beach fire with your driftwood stash hidden in the dunes,,,,,aheadbutt

We had an Esse wood stove fitted a few years back and it’s changed the house, lovely heat and a real heart to the home, only burn well seasoned dry local logs so minimal impact, highly recommended!

This is the stove we have installed, with a grate so it burns coal. Had to fit fire bricks to reduce the burn area as it was just too hot, like a fookin sauna. But very happy snuggle bugs now. Cats and dog just sit staring at it till they get too hot.
https://deanforge.co.uk/dartmoor-baker-8-eco-woodworking-multi-fuel-cook-stove/
We cook with it most days. Kettles sit on the top for hot water We will be fitting a drying rack next from the old copper pipes when we rebuilt the place.

We are obsessive about collecting driftwood off our beaches. We also do work with our crofters stripping fences to get the old stobbs (posts) It's a great feeling when you cook a meal from wood you have salvaged. There's nothing worse than finding ashes after a fookin tourist has had a cosy beach fire with your driftwood stash hidden in the dunes,,,,,aheadbutt
That's a nice little stove, thinking of getting another stove to put in the garden room, something like that will fit well.

Its not that straight forward, you cannot now burn *wet wood so the method of drying it has a negative impact on the environment meaning its not really carbon neutral
Nothing wrong with air drying wood which has no effect on the environment.
1 years air drying is sufficient but 2 years is better.
So in my case at least the carbon footprint for a years worth of wood consists of about a gallon and a half of petrol for the chainsaw and about a gallon of diesel for carting it.

21FB1F69-100F-4060-9D5F-50B7421AEABF.jpeg
we had this fitted a couple of years ago. It’s made by Contura and is fantastic. Lights easy and retains heat well. We only burn dry wood that I have split/stored myself and it burns lovely and clean.

It’s not huge, that’s a very small dog.

That's great if you have the wood to cut and storage space unfortunately the majority of us don't have that luxury.
Running a woodburner (on wood) with bought in dried wood would be rather expensive I would have thought. I know you've said you'll be running yours on solid fuel - that's a different matter.
I used to live in a Victorian semi and that even had enough room for stacking wood. Most of it I was buying from the local sawmills as trimmings from the outside of logs before they planked them. Easy to cut up and stack and quite cheap too. Also being fairly thin they dried quickly too.

That's great if you have the wood to cut and storage space unfortunately the majority of us don't have that luxury.
You don't need much room to store wood. You can even use to decorate the house. I have two log stands in my garden room that is stacked with wood. Although I don't use the wood for burning, simply decorative

Running a woodburner (on wood) with bought in dried wood would be rather expensive I would have thought. I know you've said you'll be running yours on solid fuel - that's a different matter.
I used to live in a Victorian semi and that even had enough room for stacking wood. Most of it I was buying from the local sawmills as trimmings from the outside of logs before they planked them. Easy to cut up and stack and quite cheap too. Also being fairly thin they dried quickly too.
Depends where people get it from. I can get seasoned wood (hard or soft) for £50 a van load delivered. That fills two tonne bags.

Being a tight git for me it's all about the cost, the guy in the video said running his stove for the same length of time used 11kg of wood compared to 6kg of smokeless fuel and the heat output from smokeless coal was higher, that is a huge saving if you use smokeless all the time.
If you have a multi fuel stove and you cannot get wood cheap and cut and season it yourself using smokeless is the obvious choice.

Back