Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started our first brew of this last month

After 2 weeks in the pressure barrel it smells ok, taste's ok ish but looks very cloudy.

Is it best to leave it a little longer to clear?

Thanks
Bob

I got one of these today, so I thought I'd read through the notes here and see what the general consensus was. Looks good so far. I've done 3 or 4 Wherry's and they are fantastic (especially when the price is £16 in Wilkos), but I have a wherry in bottles at the moment and another to put on when my current brews are ready, which should be this weekend, and I fancied something a little richer with the cold season coming up and all that, it was a toss up between this and the Admiral, maybe I'll do that next.

Anyway I'm hoping to put this on on Sunday using Safale-04 yeast, will see how it goes...

eggman said:
1015 is not too bad, I had a brew ages ago that stuck at 1016 after nearly 3 weeks and bottled it without any bombs. If you've tried all the usual things ie stirring it, raising temp slightly and it still doesn't move at all by the weekend then I would go ahead and bottle it
:cheers:
P.s liked your label :thumb:

I have exactly the same thing - been in now for 10 days and stuck at 1016 for the past 4 - decided to give it a good stir and raise the temp to 22.5degs ( had been at 20.5 ) and will see how things look after the weekend. I was a bit concerned that the yeast may have hit the brew at too high a temp but things have been progressing so I hope not

Hi All! About to start this kit - just wanted to double check I don't need any sugar or BKE before adding to the fermenter but that I can add some before kegging (up to 100g?)

unsaltedrhino said:
Hi All! About to start this kit - just wanted to double check I don't need any sugar or BKE before adding to the fermenter but that I can add some before kegging (up to 100g?)

No extra sugar needed at the first stage, just the little bit at the kegging/bottling phase like you say :D

Brill, thank you! I messed up my first lager brew by not adding not the sugars so just wanted to be 100%

Woodfordes 2 can kits have all the ingredients included (apart from the priming sugar), just finished their Nog one myself. Decent kits. :cheers:

Well its crimbo, and i am about to have my first ever pint of nelsons revenge, and with it been about 6.5% and me not been a big drinker of high ABV drinks it will probably be having it revenge on me by tea time(nap time)

It's a little young, but i could not resist.
IMG_0093_zps0d8eb8ec.jpg

Just tried a 2 week old bottle, bottled at the time of racking to secondary. Other than 3 further bottles, the rest is still waiting to be kegged. First time I've tasted before I kegged.

[My idea behind bottling the Cornie excess while racking, is to capture more yeast in the bottle. I leave primary 10 days, and secondary close to a month, so have suffered some carbonation issues for young bottled beers].

This is brew #7. After finding some of my earlier brews to be very similar, this one does have a different edge to it. Must be the hops, different hops. If I were pushed, I'd say that Boddingtons uses the same hops, as it has that edge. I might be completely wrong :? , but if I were pushed :D .

First serious pint out of the barrel, it's still a bit young really, only two weeks in the barrel four weeks old in all. I get honey cum vanilla coming through on the nose. A beautiful sweet fairground nose to it ... sugar and spice and all things nice ... top notch.

In the mouth, An immediate sweetness, I am getting vanilla here, lots of it and I love vanilla so I am overwhelmed. The sweetness soon gives way to a fairly complex background hop bitterness that lasts and is very pleasant. It's nice. And then a final shot of bitterness on the back of the tongue. A very nice pint and it is only two weeks old. This pint is going to get better.

The Woodforde's NR is better than the Wherry, it's more of a complex pint when it comes down to the flavour and aroma profiles. Quite honestly, it's a 10 out of 10 kit for me ... I have had a lot worse in pubs.

If you are setting out on the home-brew ... you could do a lot worse than try a Woodforde's kit ... brill, I am impressed. After that, the dark side will start calling ...

Am a little disappointed with my recent Nelson's Revenge. It has been bottled for 1month now. The first two bottles are clear, good head but have a chemical aftertaste. Not something I have had with the Wherry. Any ideas??

I am suspecting the Starsan I used to sterilise the bottles and did not rinse (because you don't have to, but maybe I should have).

Yabezag said:
Am a little disappointed with my recent Nelson's Revenge. It has been bottled for 1month now. The first two bottles are clear, good head but have a chemical aftertaste. Not something I have had with the Wherry. Any ideas??

I am suspecting the Starsan I used to sterilise the bottles and did not rinse (because you don't have to, but maybe I should have).

Chemical after taste ... very odd, did you use bleach during the brewing process or maybe your water supply is highly chlorinated ??? Chlorine can give TCP like flavours.

My brew seems overly thick for the gravity of the beer, I wonder if they have "bulked" the kit out with maltodextrin ... but that could just be a totally wild theory because otherwise the brew tastes fine .... wish they had made kits like this one when I started !

happy home-brewing :drink:

So I find this the least bitter of the kits I've tried so far. If you're finding kits a bit bitter and search something more smooth, try this one.

tazuk said:
one of the best kits going cracking pint shame there was not AG version of it :thumb:

Devise your own ... and then let me have a copy when you have got it sorted ... please. :cheers:

eggman said:
dagovenor said:
eggman said:
Sounds like you need another keg then :lol: I'm the same mate, a lot of people on here bottle their brews but I prefer mine out of the keg.
:cheers:
sounds like it! im using a budget keg at moment would you say it would be worth extra to buy king keg top tap? bit undecided ! sorry for straying off subject

I've read quite a bit on here about people having problems with the king keg top taps so I would stay away from them. I just use the youngs budget kegs myself :cheers:

Graham Wheeler basically slates them ... and he knows a tad more about brewing than I do so I would (and have done) stick to the barrels with a tap at the bottom.

Final review for my brew. It has spent nine weeks in the barrel, the beer stabilised at about three to four weeks. It's a fine pint, quite honestly, if you can only go for kits, then you can't go wrong with this one. I spent Saturday with friends and we basically polished off the remains of the barrel ... but they were not overwhelmed. But then again, new comers to HB can be a bit difficult.

This is a fine session beer. I find the hop cum malt profile a bit odd, it's just a tad too sweet for me but that is just a matter of personal preference. I can't get the idea of maltodextrins out of my head, I could be completely wrong, but it's got a slippery mouth feel ... odd. It could just be my set up ... or just me being a bit of a grumpy old man ? Anyway, this is a fine beer for a kit, it does everything a kit should do, allows you to produce perfectly decent beer for minimum effort but I will not be buying it again, it doesn't quite have enough WOW effect for the price. :hmm:

tazuk said:
woodfords kits not wrong with them nelsons revenge is a cracking kit :thumb: :cheers:

I've heard this all over, seem to be great kits these.
Think I'll be starting out with the nog and probably this one right after. Get them both keg'd and 'try' and keep some back for later on in the year...... :whistle:

im a newbie here

ive had this kit on for 5 days now bubbled like crazy through airlock for 48 hours now nothing. its been in the airing cupboard which is around 26 degrees.

ive done a hydro reading which says ( presume) 1.010

would you say this is ready for keg - airlock not done anything for a day or so?

hhhheeeellllppppp

Back